World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on buying a new spinning rod, I know absolutely nothing about fishing, (but love it anyway). Have just started again after 12 years and finding my beachcaster a bit of a lump ( I have a knackered back) so would like to try spinning. I have seen a shimano 9ft rod that I like the sound of but havent a clue whether it is any good for what I want... beach/pier/seawall fishing. A recommendation for a reel to go with it or alternative rod would be lovely aswell. Thanks and sorry for rambling...typical woman huh:blahblah:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
PM curious badger m8, he's got a fair bit of that sorta gear n will be helpful, or try the salt fly thingy bit on the forums page, sure someone will help ya out

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Ooops, sorry for calling ya m8, didnt read the post properly n just thought u were a fella, sorry bout that!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its OK, no offence taken been called a lot worse than that. Thankyou

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Any idea on what you'll be targeting?
Spinning, plugging?
Sorry about the questions, but if your just after a straight forward spinning/plugging rod look at the prologic bushwhacker or such alikes. You can't go far wrong with them for there price.
If your fishing with a single lure/spinner the above mentioned rod will see you in business. If your after a rod to fish for mackeral spinning with sets of feathers then you'll need to look at a rod that will cast a bit of a heavier range.
Reel wise get the best you can afford, especially if your looking to use braid.
I use a shimano exage 3500 for my plugging work, they are around the £50 mark. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.
You'll need to try and match the rod and reel together to balance correctly, in other words not a big beachcasting reel on a light plugging rod.

·
Registered
676 Posts
a spinning rod would struggle to fish a pier or sea wall i would look at a bass rod made to be held for long times so its light but would be able to cast a 2 to 3 oz lead of a pier or wall and it would cast a single spinner or a set of feathers but i would cut the feathers down to two or three i bought an abu enticer bass rod for 20 quid does me for light work.... hope that helps

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea on what you'll be targeting?
Anything daft enough to take my hook! Sorry... seriously now, I know nothing (but am reading all I can),about catching different types of fish. I started 15 year ago feather flinging (gotta start somewhere) on rare days off work and have just got back into it again after 12 years off and would like to progress on from chuck it and see (with a lighter rod so my back wont lock up after an hour). I'm also trying to convince my 9 year old daughter that its great fun, but with 2 trips to Samphire Hoe with nowt but sunburn to show she's not too impressed.

The rod I was looking at is a Shimano FXS-90MHB-2 9 foot, advert says it takes 14-25lb line, lure weight upto 4oz suitable for lure spinning, pier fishing, beach spinning, bass, mackerel and pike spinning. Would it be any good as an all rounder ( I cant carry loads of stuff, OH has to come just to help get it there) that I could get going with?
:blahblah: sorry yapping on again

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Took your advise and went to local shop. After explaining what I wanted the rod for weight wise etc, the fella showed me a few and I settled on a 8' Assassin boat rod. Lovely light rod and not too long, strangely he wouldn't give me a guarantee I'd actually catch a fish with it!! Now all I have to do is find somewhere that I can fish and sprog can play if she doesnt want to fish.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thank you! Took your advise and went to local shop. After explaining what I wanted the rod for weight wise etc, the fella showed me a few and I settled on a 8' Assassin boat rod. Lovely light rod and not too long, strangely he wouldn't give me a guarantee I'd actually catch a fish with it!! Now all I have to do is find somewhere that I can fish and sprog can play if she doesnt want to fish.
Thanks again.

Let me get this right the guy in the shop shown and sold you a "Boat Rod" ? for spinning,Pier, beach work !! now to me that makes very little sense as boat rods are generally made for winching up and not for casting, so granted from a Pier it will do the job if you are simply dropping over the side but for the other things you mention it will probably struggle I would think.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry probably me not explaining it right. I asked about the abu enticer bass rod mentioned above but he didnt have one so he showed me all the similar ones which I wasnt too keen on as they were 13'-15ft long, so I asked about the shorter ones on display and he explained they were boat rods... it was me asking if they could still be used for the way I want to use it (seen people fishing off Samphire with rods about 5'). When he said it could cast a 3oz, which is the weight I tend to stick to, without snapping if I actually caught anything I decided to go for it. OH tells me I cast about 50 yards with my beachcaster and 3oz lead (i cant judge distance too well) off the wall at Samphire so hopefully it wont be much shorter with this one so I can fish for longer before my back gives up.
Sorry for prattling on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
take it back you can have my abu bass rod i got two of them

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I dont seem to be explaining it very well, typical woman huh! I tried the rods similar to the enticer but didnt like the weight/length imagining a day of holding and swinging/casting them so I tried the boat rod and preferred that. It seems just as flexible as my beach caster, the fella whipped it a few times aswell to check the flex on it. Thanks to my daughter two of the discs in my back have given up so weight and movement (in casting) are quite an issue. Hope I havent given the impression that I was mis-sold the rod. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you're happy with the weight of it and intend to fish from piers, it should do the job for you.
It was sounding more like you had been stitched up with a completely different rod to which you went in for.
It might not give you the distance and height for beach fishing, but if your holding in your hand you should be able to cast it 30 yds with short traces.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have often used the salt 8' 8lb boat rod for spinning it copes fine and does a far better job than some of the supposed spinning rods out there ok it won't be of any use plugging[handle too long blank too soft but for putting out a dexter or other heavy lure it's fine
also great fun on the boat for the bream and bass
not sure it would be my choice for feathering though for that job i would want something 10-11' casting weight 3-4oz
hope this helps dai

·
Registered
899 Posts
take it back you can have my abu bass rod i got two of them
My tupence orth but as I say 'horses for courses' and boat rods are for hauling up vertically.
Boat sea fishing and shore fishing in some ways are similar and other ways miles apart,you would be better buying a carp rod,one of the heavier ones say 3lb test curve
I could even understand him selling you an uptider but take the offer of a bass rod.Abu are generally great rods,don't know the model but at the right price well worth it,most of my fihing gear is 2nd hand so dont worry on that score.....
Take it,I recently bought a BZE 2-3oz light/bass rod and its great.
You can feel smaller fish,there light and if its a shorter rod your after Im assuming its probably 11'-12'.
Seriously though you'll have no fun with the rod you've got and this is what your after????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts