World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this thread might get moved to the tackle bit but i wouldnt mind advice from a few guys on the south and west forums on account of ive spoken to a few guys on here before.

Just brought a slosh 30 second hand, its a next step up for reels for me as ive not long got used to a level wind multiplier.

Ive been told by Mart in the tackle shop its in great working order. I think it needs a bit of a scrub up so im guna strip the line from it then sit and wait for someone to reply to help haha. My brother has said he can take it to bits for me.. im just looking for advice on giving the reel a good clean on the outside.

thanks

Luke

·
Premium Member
39,490 Posts
Im sure this thread might get moved to the tackle bit but i wouldnt mind advice from a few guys on the south and west forums on account of ive spoken to a few guys on here before.

Just brought a slosh 30 second hand, its a next step up for reels for me as ive not long got used to a level wind multiplier.

Ive been told by Mart in the tackle shop its in great working order. I think it needs a bit of a scrub up so im guna strip the line from it then sit and wait for someone to reply to help haha. My brother has said he can take it to bits for me.. im just looking for advice on giving the reel a good clean on the outside.

thanks

Luke
If your brother can strip it down and rebuild it I would say clean the external areas once it has been stripped down, nothing beats some warm soapy water, a good rinse and dry off components. Far better than doing it prior to.

For on going I always give mine a good rinse in the shower, this does not give the same pleasures as the things I used to play with in the shower :laugh: but it keeps the reels inexcellent condition during the season.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, nothing beats a rubber duck eh? :laugh: The reels good ive stripped the line off and the spool spins lovely. I always give mine a good scrub down after use too (lets keep this clean now) haha... but ive bought it second hand. Il wait for my bro to strip her on grease her up... theres a bit of limescale on the handle any idea on tackling that one Ken. Thanks for the info regarding cleaning the exterior after :)

Luke

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm a cold water rather than warm water man myself... hot can just dissolve the salt and drive it further in. Having said that can it get further in after sitting getting sprayed by salt water for a few hours??

·
Registered
43 Posts
It might look like lime scale but if its round the base of the handle on the handle arm its prob corossion - I look after reels and its happened to me and I'm sure most SL20/SL30 owners have had the same probs 1 of those things!!

Personally I take my bearings out twice a year and soak them in parrafine or lighter fuel - this tends to thin out any grease crap that may be in them. I then put a few drops of rocket fuel oil in my 6500's or my bigger not to worried about distance reels 7000/7500/SL30 {Boat reels} I put a small drop of engine oil in them. Sounds a bit mad to some but all mine work fine. But the main thing is fresh water and a good drain off after use!!

·
Premium Member
39,490 Posts
I have a pair of ABU 6500s which people say are prone to corrosion one is ten year old the other six years old and both are in mint condition. The reasons for this are, firstly the warm water rinse after each session and dab off with tissue to dry, always carry reels in a reel bag to and from, give them a full service each year.

I used to reload with line several times a year according to use which was three or four times per week, having slowed down reloading is less frequent. I keep my rods the same way alway wash off in the shower and keep them in their rod bags.

It's all part of being a good tackle tart :laugh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
all the advice on here is sound i wish i could give some advice too u aswell that ive learned from experience but if you try youtube of all places you may even find a video for your particular model from the manufacturer or some old guy thats had it apart a 100 times good luck neway buddy and i hope u find what your after! tight lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts