World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking at getting myself a spinning rod in the next couple of weeks, I have a budget of roughly £50. The rod I lure fish with at the moment is one I picked up for a fiver (cw 80-150g) so not ideal!

I'm looking for a 9' rod with a cw between 15/20-60g.
I have looked at the Abu Garcia Devil, Shakespeare Ugly Stik GTX2, Shimano Vengeance BX Sea Bass and Shakespeare Beta Spin. Does anyone have any recommendations out of these or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
KW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started out lure fishing last year with a Diawa sweepfire 9ft, 15g-50g. Did the job quite nicely without breaking the bank. Caught my first bass.
Thanks mate I'll have a look. Not too sure what I'm looking for really, just want something that won't snap on me!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi all,

Looking at getting myself a spinning rod in the next couple of weeks, I have a budget of roughly £50. The rod I lure fish with at the moment is one I picked up for a fiver (cw 80-150g) so not ideal!

I'm looking for a 9' rod with a cw between 15/20-60g.
I have looked at the Abu Garcia Devil, Shakespeare Ugly Stik GTX2, Shimano Vengeance BX Sea Bass and Shakespeare Beta Spin. Does anyone have any recommendations out of these or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
KW
I can recommend the Shimano Vengeance BX Sea Bass. I have two which I use for bait fishing for gilts, and they can give a rod a severe test! The rings are not top-quality, as you would expect for a budget rod, but the Biofibre blank is very strong and casts surprisingly well. I had to use one for spinning the other day when I accidentally left my Nebula behind, and though it wasn't as pleasant to use, it cast just as far. Just rinse the rings off after use and I think you'll be well pleased with it. PH

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
why are you needing a rod that can cast up to 60g lures ? what are you fishing for?.....................

for bass from the shore nearly all the best lures are between 10g and 30g and most folks go for a rod rated roughly 10g to 40g. But alot depends on what you are after and where you are fishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in getting this rod...
HTO Nebula MH 300 - 12-42gm
  • Length 3.00m (10')
  • Casting 12gm - 42gm
Its sold out everywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one? Does anyone have the 10' size in the HTO that can give me any advice? Is it as good as they say it is on the surf for lures?
Any advice would be much appreciated guys!
Cheers
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm interested in getting this rod...
HTO Nebula MH 300 - 12-42gm
  • Length 3.00m (10')
  • Casting 12gm - 42gm
Its sold out everywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one? Does anyone have the 10' size in the HTO that can give me any advice? Is it as good as they say it is on the surf for lures?
Any advice would be much appreciated guys!
Cheers
Jonathan
One on eBay from Helston in Cornwall for £153.99. I have two lighter Nebulas and both are brilliant. Henry Gilbert calls the 12-42g "the perfect surf rod". PH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys. I just found one on ebay like you said. £150. Got my waders too. I will let you know what it's like to use on the surf etc.
Wish me luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts