World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is my first post on WSF having joined yesterday!

Having been a shore angler for many years I've finally saved up to buy a small 18ft Shetland boat!

I am a relative novice to boat fishing, however have been out on several trips with a couple of the charter boys out of Weymouth.

Me and my old man are planning a trip to fish the Shambles bank on Saturday in hope of catching the odd flattie, and was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips/precautions when fishing this mark.

I have a Garmin Striker 4dv fish finder, and is the bank easy to find/identify? (Where exactly is it!!?)
Which areas of the bank are fishing best?
What flatties are about at the moment?
What are the best/easiest/safest states of tide to fish the bank?
Rigs/bait/tips?
Are there any dangers/precautions I should know about? I've heard how dangerous the 'Portland Race' can be.

I'd also quite like to try some Wrecking for Pollack and Cod, however I don't know many wreck marks and I don't know if they're fishing well. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction or have any co-ordinates?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Tight lines.
T

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to WSF.

Shambles isn't my area, so can't comment on that, but as for more general guidance on wreck marks & numbers, I found that googling local diving clubs was worthwhile - there tend to be wreck co-ordinates listed on their sites which are equally relevant for anglers to use. Lyme Bay has plentiful wrecks, but some of them are a long way out. Take care, whatever you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Hi all this is my first post on WSF having joined yesterday!

Having been a shore angler for many years I've finally saved up to buy a small 18ft Shetland boat!

I am a relative novice to boat fishing, however have been out on several trips with a couple of the charter boys out of Weymouth.

Me and my old man are planning a trip to fish the Shambles bank on Saturday in hope of catching the odd flattie, and was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips/precautions when fishing this mark.

I have a Garmin Striker 4dv fish finder, and is the bank easy to find/identify? (Where exactly is it!!?)
Which areas of the bank are fishing best?
What flatties are about at the moment?
What are the best/easiest/safest states of tide to fish the bank?
Rigs/bait/tips?
Are there any dangers/precautions I should know about? I've heard how dangerous the 'Portland Race' can be.

I'd also quite like to try some Wrecking for Pollack and Cod, however I don't know many wreck marks and I don't know if they're fishing well. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction or have any co-ordinates?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Tight lines.
T
Hi, Sorry The Shambles is not a place I would go, being a novice boat angler, you need to know what you are doing, with the changing tides pattern and currents in the area, being the most important I would not risk going there until you have got some more experience and know exactly what you are doing on the right set of tides then add in to the equation the weather, my advice is to stay well clear for a novice boat.Just be safe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Sorry The Shambles is not a place I would go, being a novice boat angler, you need to know what you are doing, with the changing tides pattern and currents in the area, being the most important I would not risk going there until you have got some more experience and know exactly what you are doing on the right set of tides then add in to the equation the weather, my advice is to stay well clear for a novice boat.Just be safe.

Thank you I'll be careful, but my Dad has over 40 years of boating experience and sea knowledge. The issue is not so much lack of knowledge about boating and the sea, it's a lack of local knowledge about the area. We all know how different the sea behaves in different places, so I'm looking to gather as much info as possible. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so that hopefully in the long term I'll be able to go out solo (without Dad).

Do you have any other suggestions of any more sheltered/easier marks?

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Thank you I'll be careful, but my Dad has over 40 years of boating experience and sea knowledge. The issue is not so much lack of knowledge about boating and the sea, it's a lack of local knowledge about the area. We all know how different the sea behaves in different places, so I'm looking to gather as much info as possible. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so that hopefully in the long term I'll be able to go out solo (without Dad).

Do you have any other suggestions of any more sheltered/easier marks?
Ok why not join a local fishing club, they have a lot of boat members and monthly competitions for small and large boats,I am sure they will be able and help you out with where and when to fish locally in the area contact Billy Short at the Weymouth Angling Society.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just look for all the other boats drifting across the bank you can't miss it, so long as the weathers ok and light winds you should be fine..

Take it steady and build your knowledge is the way to go.

Is your boat moored there on a permanent basis?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just look for all the other boats drifting across the bank you can't miss it, so long as the weathers ok and light winds you should be fine..

Take it steady and build your knowledge is the way to go.

Is your boat moored there on a permanent basis?
No, I'll be launching from Portland.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
I just want you and your experience Dad to have a good fishing trip, when you asked for advice and the fact you had a couple of trips out to the Shambles, it's not just that so simple as to follow other boats out to a mark, not knowing about local tides weather or even reading charts as to where the Shambles is that is absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just want you and your experience Dad to have a good fishing trip, when you asked for advice and the fact you had a couple of trips out to the Shambles, it's not just that so simple as to follow other boats out to a mark, not knowing about local tides weather or even reading charts as to where the Shambles is that is absolutely crazy.
Oh now I understand what you meant! You were implying that it's much more complicated than just following out other boats.

I understand this now, and having done a lot of research and been in touch with some people I have a good idea of how complex and potentially risky this area is.

I know exactly what the tide will be doing tomorrow (as well as the wind) and the direction of flow and current etc
I've now got a chart of the area, so finding the bank will be simple.

Cheers for the concern, and making me aware though :)

I'll post on here how we get on if we make it out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Firstly all the best on your adventures with your dad! I would also advice caution when venturing out of the safety of the harbour. I have had a boat and fished Portland area for 10 years and would support some of the previous comments made about the dangers of the Shambles. The best practical advice I can give is for you to repost in the boat fishing section as their are several members who have boats in the marina that can give you the benefit of their years (I am still a relative beginner) of experience. I had a bad experience of the Shambles and drifting into the Race and you would not believe how easy it is to do this. Their is also a good guide you can buy from any of the chandlery stores that gives you the tidal pattern at any given state of the tide in the Portland area. Alco don't under estimate the good fishing that can be had in and around Portland harbour. I have caught double figure bass, plaice, pollock, gurnard, bream, mackerel all within a couple of miles of the marina. Hope this helps and tight lines mate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts