World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on catching a gilthead or 2 from the river Fal?
Having not caught one before i intend to make this fish my new summer target species(we live in hope!)
I live in Truro and have transport so getting to venues either side of the river isn't a problem.
I have seen a couple of marks i am thinking of trying(aroud the Talverne, Pill Point, Devoran Creek and the Turnaware area but have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer.
1) Is it best to fish the deep channels or to cast on to the shallower flats?
2) What is the best bait? lug, rag or peeler? i have also heard that hardback crabs work well
3) I would imagine flood tide is best but as i've not caught before can anyone confirm this.

Anyway guys any help at all would be much appreciated
thanks
chris :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it is best to fish from low up, the baits you mention will all work I find lug is the best however although you can use crab to target the bigger fish. Cast into the channel but also over the flats as the tide rises. You are better fishing quite far up the river in my opinion either at dawn or at dusk. You can often see the fish in very little water.

I will PM you a mark you might want to try.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i have tried for bream in river from my boat with no success.if you fancy some company let me know i would like to catch one from the shore.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice on catching a gilthead or 2 from the river Fal?
Having not caught one before i intend to make this fish my new summer target species(we live in hope!)
I live in Truro and have transport so getting to venues either side of the river isn't a problem.
I have seen a couple of marks i am thinking of trying(aroud the Talverne, Pill Point, Devoran Creek and the Turnaware area but have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer.
1) Is it best to fish the deep channels or to cast on to the shallower flats?
2) What is the best bait? lug, rag or peeler? i have also heard that hardback crabs work well
3) I would imagine flood tide is best but as i've not caught before can anyone confirm this.

Anyway guys any help at all would be much appreciated
thanks
chris :)
going to give it a go in my local river had them last year in mid may give them a go on the nexst big tides lug work well for me last year

·
Registered
263 Posts
Although I agree with far up the river being good, I have done quite well in the percuil. Just keep trying different marks at different tides etc and your sure to pick one up!! Good luck mate - you are welcome to come out up the percuil on my boat at some point in the coming months if you like. Drop me a PM when you are free. Cheers

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for advice and tips guys,
i did pop out for a few casts around the creeks at Point and Roundwood the other night but no bites this time(lovely sunset tho)
im so used to fishing open rock marks that casting into these lil channels is reminding me of when i used to coarse fish! have to admit it is very enjoyable to use something lighter than a 6oz lead for once!lol!
Gonna try again very soon.
Will post a report IF i catch :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts