World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help ,new to the site so take it easy on me!!I am a freshwater angler going to Margarita in the middle of june with the missus so can get a few short sessions in through the 2 weeks we are there any advice on what lures terminal tackle etc.have fished abroad cuba,dominican and mexico with limited sucess small trevally using prawns as bait.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Please help ,new to the site so take it easy on me!!I am a freshwater angler going to Margarita in the middle of june with the missus so can get a few short sessions in through the 2 weeks we are there any advice on what lures terminal tackle etc.have fished abroad cuba,dominican and mexico with limited sucess small trevally using prawns as bait.
Hi
And firstly welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately my experience is limited to the Venezuelan mainland - mainly for Marlin, Sailfish and Tuna - and the Bonefish from Los Roques.

But, if I were you, I would take a lightish spinning rod couple with 8 or 10lb line and a selection of 'AAA' and Swan shot with 6 and 8 hooks, and some surface lures - preferably poppers. That should cover you for Jacks and the 'bait' rig for any Bonefish (that might be present) and Snook. (It's worth taking some short, light wire traces for the Snook.)

There may well be others who have fished Margarita and will reply but two other sources of information that you may wish to target are - TripAdvisor and Reel-Time. The latter's essentially a fly fishing forum but what you can catch on fly you'll similarly catch on bait. Any rate here's the url for TripAdvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=2025&geo=316061&scope=2&q=fishing&returnTo=%2FShowForum-g316061-i2025-Margarita_Island_Coastal_Islands.html&x=17&y=8 and for Reel-Time just navigate through their home page - http://www.reel-time.com to Forums and use the site's SEARCH facility.

Please, if you have a chance once you're back, post a report of your experiences. Good or bad it all helps to others understanding of the venue.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

Hi Mouse,

Here is a link to my diary entry from my honeymoon on Isla Margarita. Massive potential, but even the Columbians call it the crazy island. Be careful, and give all the beach traders a sob story of how all your money got lost at the airport. They might leave you alone for your holiday then! Otherwise, you will end up owning a hell of a lot of jewelery, all be it really nice craftsmenship.
http://www.fishyrob.co.uk/newdiary/14092006.htm
It is stunningly beautiful, and amazing beaches, having said all that. Its just that it could really be paradise if there was more established law and order on the Island.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Thanks for that Rob looks very similar to Cuba but those waves look a lot bigger!!
Playa El Agua had some amazing surf on it at times, and a nice run of current. But just like surf beaches here, its curse is weed. It was weed free for the first few days (when I didnt have a rod of course) but then clagged up badly, making it virtually unfishable. There is a nice rocky outcop at the head of the beach if you walk right, that looked like it needed a lot moe attention, and the police there just want to chat about fishing, rather than stopping you fishing. If you can get hold of a 9mm berreta (which you almost certainly could......!!), Playa Manzanila has real biggie potential. Constant shoals of sardines along the cliffs to the left, deep water, no weed, and the bites start strongly just as it gets dark and its unsafe to be there. This is whee you will get out on the locals fishing boats for very small money, but you will be expected to entertain half the villages kids, who also want to see why your handline has a big stick attached to it! On Manzanila, the most fishy bit was again a rocky outcrop, at the head of the beach to the left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Rob/ Jack , have treated myself to a travel carp rod !! 12ft and a selection of poppers ,J-13,dexter wedges and some grip leads for the beach so i think i am prepared!! Well i hope so let you know how i get on when i get back

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I lived there for about 6 months - theres nowhere there where you can buy any tackle - make sure you take everything you need

1 - 7 of 7 Posts