World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im curious to find out about the above ive never seen one let alone used one, i lost so many fish last year due to leads hitting snags ive tried pulley rigs but still cant clear the ridge that im fishing above,someone told me to use a lead lift as this will get the lead up quicker, any advice will be great cheers nickyg

·
Registered
312 Posts
lead lifts will help you when you haven't got a fish on but won't do a lot if you have a fish on. You should be looking at a rotten bottom link which will mean you will lose your lead but the rest should come back intact. This combined with a pulley should see you right.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use the Breakaway leadlifts that clip onto longtail leads on certain marks.
With a fast retrieve reel IE,Penn mag or Trinidad they work well when fishing past rough or mixed ground and ledges.Never casting into rough ground,thats when rotten bottoms are used.
I find they can help bring fish to the surface quicker if they are not massive.
You can use the same lifts behind normal leads with the clip provided.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
IMHO its just another bit of terminal tackle to loose on the seabed better off with a fast retrieve reel 6:1 or similar...like i say just my opinion!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think ill try the rotten bottom clips combined with a pulley rig, never thought of that befor ,i kept losing fish whilst reeling in maybe this will help, cheers guys thanx for the help nickyg

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Like Dave, I use the breakaway lifts but in my case the ones with a clip at each end. They've made a big difference to tackle losses when retieving fishless. With a fish on I've not tended to get snagged anyway - they seem to plane up in the water under pressure.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i use them too but not on every mark.

use them mostly on shallowish marks where im fishing out onto cleanish ground whilst casting over ruff ground in front of me.
they help the lead plane to the surface..

if fishing high up, piers,rocks etc or into very snaggy ground as said before rotten bottom is better.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
ive used leadlifts in the past and all i found with them is that they drag in the tide like hell until your lead gets snagged anyway so i don't use them nor recommend them

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i think some may miss the point..

they are desighned to lift your rigs over snags not prevent your leads from snagging in the first place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts