World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I do all my fishing on the South Coast but we are heading up to North Wales for a long weekend camping near Tudweiliog on the Lleyn right next to a loveley little beach. Not being local to the area I'm after some advice on what species and tactics to use in the area. I hear there are Bullhuss to be caught and maybe the odd bass. It's not an ideal tide, neaps and low tide at night. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
952 Posts
i believe the beach ur near is called porth towyn(think thats spelt right) u should b able to get bass there at night, n all the usual suspects like dogfish n flatfish, coalfish n pollack. sandeel, mackerel and squid maybe rag if u can get it from anywhere work well.
id advise u fish off the rock ledges at either porth ysgadan or porth dinllaen for huss and conger(best fished at night) ul get wrasse mackerel and pollack during the day, all the rock ledges fish best around low tide to a couple of hours up.id advise u fish the beaches last 3hours of the flood although it could b worth a bash at low tide if its dark.
Other marks which might b worth a go are porth oer(whistling sands) and the rocks at Porth Iago.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes agreed... Porth Iago and Porth Dinllaen are good bets for rock marks. Wrasse to lug/rag on float or on the bottom.. pollack and mackeral also on feathers/spinning... Although it's been quiet of late...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Fish Porth Towyn from low water to the right of the main beach. When the water reaches the promontary, move back to the main beach and fish to the left where a little stream empties out to the surf.

Night tides are essential, and lug, rag and razorfish are the best bait. Fish baits will attract hoards of dogfish!

Best fished after a Westerly blow on big tides. Flat calm on neaps is crap!

Sandeel will pick up the odd Turbot.

Hope this helps?

F.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i always have one rod tackled up with fish bait, cos if thers nothing else doing u know ul not blank. i rather catch dogfish than nothing!!its neva nailed on that ul catch just dogfish on fish bait either, if u put a few beads on ur hook link its possible to catch various flatfish in darkness on mackerel also pollack n coalfish. As the bass r neva nailed on, its well worth taking fish bait as the majority of fish will take it in preference to lug, rag or razor............however i agree bass prefer lug,rag or razor, but wuldnt turn there nose up at mackerel or squid. to b honest if u fish towyn after a decent blow the bass will take any of the mentioned baits regardless.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. Looks like it's going to be blowing all weekend and into next week - not great for the camping:oops: but should stir things up for the fish :happy:! And at least porth Towyn is northerly facing so you get some shelter from the prevailing westerlies!

·
Registered
449 Posts
try trefor pier, fish off the north side in darkness but be careful on the pier, large squid of mack baits pick out the huss, or go off any of the north beaches, some are a bit rocky so take plenty of gear. Hope you get some good fishing, if not hope you just enjoy the fab place the lleyn is.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I went spinning on this morning's flood tide at Porth Iago. There's a good tide-rip there which is normally fairly reliable as marks go. Four hours later and six mackerel and two small pollack caught! Had to work hard for them! Hope that's of use - they are about if you try hard!

Cheers - John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts