World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting some new gear. Ive always in the past bought chepaer tackle but regret it when it fails.

Im looking at trying a nice multiplier (okuma magnetix) so any reviews on this id be greatful. Ive seen this for around £50 which I thought was reasonable,
but im not sure about a beachcaster rod. I already have a bass 2-4oz rod so want something a bit stronger for beachcasting. Im looking at around the £60 mark.

I know this wouldnt get me the best rod but hopefully a decent one. I go sea fishing half a dozen times a year (hopefully more in the future) so its not like its gona get hammered every weekend.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry mate you are not going to get much for that money. The salt range of rod are prob best in that price range. but you will find it hard to find a multi reel under £100 thats any good. Abu do a 6500C power handle thats ok for about £60. have one myself, run it with just one brake block and find it runs well and never birdnests. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
hello mate,

my advice would be to buy a second hand rod, u should get a half decent 1 for 60 bucks. what sort of places do you usually fish? sandy or rocky or a mixture of both?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've found buying good gear is cheaper in the long run. As it will last forever with just a bit of care. Have you looked at secondhand?

·
Registered
728 Posts
First off, where do you usually go fishing, and what sort of fish do you aim to catch? I reckon you could get something reasonable for not far off your budget.

I agree that you tend to get what you pay for, I have made the point often enough myself. But to a large extent it depends how far you need to cast and how much winching power you need.

Tell us a bit about where you fish when you get the chance, and I am sure you will get ome sensible suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies

I fish mainly in torquay / brixham etc

So its mixed ground as we go off the breakwater and berry head. But I have plans to travel a bit this year even if its only an hours drive to north wales. So that means there will be sandy and rocky beaches.

I would definaltey consider 2nd hand gear so just need to know what sort of rods / reels to be looking at.

Cheers

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just got an Abu Enticer 12ft 3-6oz two piece and an Abu Cardinal 178 for £55 brand new. Used it yesterday in pretty rough ground and managed to pull out of 3 good snags. I also hooked a Dab around4-5 inches and it showed up well on the rod tip.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If you're not looking to whack out great distances the Magnetix reels are perfectly fine for general fishing use.Clean and store it properly afer use,and it'll last you years.Likwise many good rods in the £50 to £70 bracket that will suit you perfectly for the style and amount of fishing that you're describing.Sod the wait mate,buy the tackle that you can afford and get fishing!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I cannot understand why people are saying there are no decent rods in the £60 range? True, you should spend what you can on a rod and reel, but nowadays £60 will get you a decent rod that will perform well and will last for a few years if looked after. Have a troll through the 'Tackle and Equipment' threads, there are numerous discussions on tackle for that price bracket. Here is a thread on the best gear available for under £50. Well worth a read. http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52208

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.