World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, wondering if anyone could give me some advice please… I will be travelling to Sri Lanka next April and staying in Maxwells Beach the south-east. In the UK are use a light bass rod (10-35gsm) line (20lb) and similar lures. Interested in lure fishing from the shore in Sri Lanka, just wanna make sure I have the right kit-
Currently looking at Shimano travel rods… Not sure whether15-40 gam casting range will be a tough enough rod or weather the 20 to 60 Gsm range will be too heavy and unresponsive
- any advice would be greatly appreciated and also suggestions on line and types of lure please.
Thanks in advance if you find the time to reply!
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there, wondering if anyone could give me some advice please… I will be travelling to Sri Lanka next April and staying in Maxwells Beach the south-east. In the UK are use a light bass rod (10-35gsm) line (20lb) and similar lures. Interested in lure fishing from the shore in Sri Lanka, just wanna make sure I have the right kit-
Currently looking at Shimano travel rods… Not sure whether15-40 gam casting range will be a tough enough rod or weather the 20 to 60 Gsm range will be too heavy and unresponsive
- any advice would be greatly appreciated and also suggestions on line and types of lure please.
Thanks in advance if you find the time to reply!
Cheers
Apologies - staying at Mawella beach- not maxwells

·
Registered
285 Posts
We spent a week in a small resort just west of Galle over Easter a few years ago, and ventured up and down the coast from there.

There always seemed to be a big sea running wherever we went, hence it's popularity with surfers. I didn't fish off the shore at all, I had one session on a nearby river (caught catfish fishing off a bridge) and a fairly hairy trip out on a local boat from Galle organised by our host.

I'm no expert but metals might work off the shore. Beware of saltwater crocs in more sheltered areas, creeks, inlets etc !!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi Lozza, have you seen Daikent's 2 reports from Sri Lanka (including visits to Tangalle area) in the pinned posts? It might give you an idea of what's around and therefore what to bring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We spent a week in a small resort just west of Galle over Easter a few years ago, and ventured up and down the coast from there.

There always seemed to be a big sea running wherever we went, hence it's popularity with surfers. I didn't fish off the shore at all, I had one session on a nearby river (caught catfish fishing off a bridge) and a fairly hairy trip out on a local boat from Galle organised by our host.

I'm no expert but metals might work off the shore. Beware of saltwater crocs in more sheltered areas, creeks, inlets etc !!!
cheers Stickbait…lordy didn’t factor in crocs! Will take my son as a decoy…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lozza, have you seen Daikent's 2 reports from Sri Lanka (including visits to Tangalle area) in the pinned posts? It might give you an idea of what's around and therefore what to bring.
Cheers Mark- thanks for the recommendation- good reports those- looks like the conditions are challenging- fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi Lozza - yep, I think if it were me I'd aim a bit heavier than bass gear as the better fishing seemed to be around structure - rock or mangroves - and decent fish (especially jacks) head straight for the rough stuff. Maybe the heavier rod and a 4-5000 size reel with 2 spools, one for mono and one for braid of at least 30lb. You might need to be casting biggish lures into surfy water.
I wouldn't worry about crocs. The sharks eat them all ... tee hee!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Theres some good spots on south coast of SL the stretch of rocks behind temple between unawatuna and galle is nice and deep bit dodgy tho probably better off small boat ....theres an estuary by welligamma nearly into merissa thats a good place to cast about dont know exact place ur going but should be similar ask a few of the small fishing boat guys ..... regards to lures see if u can get some 2-3 oz long casting dexters or cabo killers ive always done well with them in toolbox kirinda is a good place miles of beaches u could do with scooter or something there tho....there are some crocs around too altho i never encountered any

1 - 9 of 9 Posts