World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little limited because of cash lol, but nevertheless im looking for another couple of cheaper beach rods. im stuck between the 12' Penn Firetip surf & reel combo & the Daiwa Longbeam & reel combo. anyone got any advice on which of these two may be better?? the reel looks more substantial on the Daiwa kit...?? just wondering, any advice would be great cheers Josh!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
hi josh i have a daiwa longbeam 15 foot nice rod with the right reel you can get out well , also i have a penn 15 foot also good rod,,,,,,,,,,,, i find if you use braid this helps to cast well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ray

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Personally I would avoid the longbeams at all costs: I know a few people who've had them, and most of the rods ended up broken, they all snapped in the same place during casting. I do know a couple of people who still have them but the rod seems floppy with no real backbone. Go for the sandstorm or surfbreaker, or the older TDSS, never heard of any of these breaking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Much better to buy 1 quality rod than a pair of cheapies.

You can always match it up when the £££££s become available

·
Registered
133 Posts
josh if you shop around and find what you want, then try spotty dog tackle as they have recently looked after me really well and will probably beat most prices. (thats not a pitch, they just given me outstanding service so well worth a mention)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Spotty dog are good but always try and get the best you can afford, if you've got £100 don't buy 2 £50 rods that you'll have to trade in when you out grow them. Buy a decent secondhand rod for £100 that will last you as long as you fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts