World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a little limited because of cash lol, but nevertheless im looking for another couple of cheaper beach rods. im stuck between the 12' Penn Firetip surf & reel combo & the Daiwa Longbeam & reel combo. anyone got any advice on which of these two may be better?? the reel looks more substantial on the Daiwa kit...?? just wondering, any advice would be great cheers Josh!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Can you give us an idea of how much you've got to spend? It might be worth considering good second hand gear.

Stu

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well only got a little m8 i was thinking of like £50 for each combo, so £100 ish for two combos. good deal i think, i was just wondering out of the two, which were better.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
To be honest I'd scrap the second rod and spend double the cash on one rod Josh. Tackle is one area where you really do get what you pay for, and the second bonus is that you use half the bait too!

Not used a Longbeam, but have got a Sandstorm (never used now) that I won't speak too highly of. They're OK for starting out, but if you get to the point where you want to start slinging leads just not up to the job.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You might be better off buying just one decent setup rather than getting 2 poor quality ones.
Sound advice Seancod,

Josh, it takes a good while to build up a good armoury and time is on your side.
Put all of your dosh into one good piece of kit and start saving for the next. You are a serious angler by the sounds of it and you will soon out class the cheaper kit, I wish there had been forums about when I had been starting out, it would have saved me a fortune.
Good luck, think ahead.

OCB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not a combo deal but have a look at glasgow angling centre penn rod deal.
Since shakespeare took over penn recently they are clearing all their old powerstix range - 12ft beachcaster was anywhere between £96-£126 in most tackle shops going for £40 flat at GAC - is a very very good rod at that price but be quick if you want one. I have one as my 2nd beach rod now :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Just buy the one for the moment (personal preference would be the Penn powerstix as mentioned) and save up for a better rod at a later date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts