World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice. I was hoping to organise a Triggerfish tagging day in the form of a competition on mumbles pier on the weekend of the 5th/6th of September with the help of the guys at Basstastic and the Mumbles Motorboat and Fishing Club. As yet they've not got back to me. The format I was considering was people would register for the day, I'd pay pier entry and bait and there'd be a prize for the most Triggerfish caught.

I was wondering whether you thought this was a good idea or whether it would be better to tag off a boat. In which case I'd be looking for the use of a boat (which I'd pay the fuel for) and some volunteers to come fish (which I'd pay the bait for).

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Will be fishing for Golden Grey Mullet that weekend, see "2009 G/Grey meet at Llangenith" its an RNLI charity meet in memory of Lee Wood most of us will be down there, maybe you should change the date, & arrange it for a day or two at Oxwich where most of them are being caught!;)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
What body tags trigger fish!!!

dunno sounds like a bit of a wind upto me...if its not then i whole heartedly apologise.

sharks and varieties of them and rays can be tagged as they have cartilage fins but triggers have your more normal fins and a tag wouldn't last 5 minutes.

i'll be at llangenith too....and no i won't be tagging golden greys!!

john

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was badly planned on my part but I'm afraid its the earliest weekend that I'm free. The tournament is only on the saturday is that correct? Would anyone be up for the sunday do you think?

I am really going to tag triggerfish, I have got a very small cost covering grant from the National Marine Aquarium in plymouth please check out my website http://www.uktriggerfish.org/ which gives you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve and why.

In the states Triggerfish are regularly tagged by sports fishermen
http://web.vims.edu/adv/recreation/tag/index.html.

I would like to point out though what I'm planning on doing is very small scale and very provisional I only have one tagging gun and much of this is for my own interest. Though if we get any interesting results I would be eager to persue the issue further.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
i may stand corrected, but that weekend also coincides with spring tides with high water at 08.06 am not ideal for mumbles pier fishing.. i have found the best tides for the triggers are low water neaps at the pier. question for blueskip........whats the best tides to fish oxwich wreck without dark shadows scaring you off it? they don't sound ideal.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you fish either side of low water on either neaps or springs you wont have problems with the "big black thing" because if you stick near the little weed covered bouy (it submerges after about 2hrs of flood), on the moorings side of the wreck, the wreck itself will be 20-30mts inshore from you, & if you are there on a spring tide at low water the top of it is exposed anyway.
You really need to go there at low water springs to see EXACTLY where it exposes, so that you can go there with confidence at other times. The biggest problem is trying to anchor OFF the wreck so that you can fish into it, the tide direction seems to change at various stages of the tide, & often the wind dictates how you lie to it! the kayaks have the advantage being able to hold themselves in one spot, or change position quickly when the tide direction changes. With a boat you have the performance of lifting anchor, moving, dropping anchor again, & there is always the danger of getting the anchor stuck in the debris!:oops:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You will get more fish caught at Oxwich wreck than you will at Mumbles Pier, if you are looking for a boat to do your recording/tagging from then you can use mine, although I'm sure there will be bigger, roomier boats that will offer themselves. The kayakers who get in closer & catch most of the fish could quite easily bring the fish to an anchored boat for recording, & if they "bouyed off" their anchor, they could return to their original spot in seconds, I think it would produce more fish for tagging, & its easier to return them than dropping them back in from off the pier.:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
506 Posts
You will get more fish caught at Oxwich wreck than you will at Mumbles Pier, if you are looking for a boat to do your recording/tagging from then you can use mine, although I'm sure there will be bigger, roomier boats that will offer themselves. The kayakers who get in closer & catch most of the fish could quite easily bring the fish to an anchored boat for recording, & if they "bouyed off" their anchor, they could return to their original spot in seconds, I think it would produce more fish for tagging, & its easier to return them than dropping them back in from off the pier.:eek:hmy:
whole heartedly agree with blue skip on this one, there are a good few triggers on the wreck and it should be easier to co-ordinate! id be up for helping if i can get the time, get a boat and a kayak!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you'd be willing to do that, that would be great thanks:)

How many does your boat take?

·
Registered
601 Posts
id pop down for the day to catch some triggers never caught 1 before or been on a boat. ill catch and release them if your quick enough you can tag them. lol

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
What about the inner reef at langland? Is that throwing up many triggers at the moment? I've heard of one or two good days over there but I havent had chance to fish it since the beginning of the season.

If it is producing then possibly the mumbles boat could be used to fish that area... good thing being the mumbles boat has a MASSIVE live well so fish can be placed in there until they've been tagged. Just a thought. Would fancy it on the wreck tho.... possibly over high water??

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you'd be willing to do that, that would be great thanks:)

How many does your boat take?
Maybe a 3rd if you are lucky, & they are small, its only 16ft long, as I said there will probably be bigger & better boats that will offer their services, it could be that you could use several boats anchored around the area so that people can go to the nearest rather than motor/paddle too far.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Maybe a 3rd if you are lucky, & they are small, its only 16ft long, as I said there will probably be bigger & better boats that will offer their services, it could be that you could use several boats anchored around the area so that people can go to the nearest rather than motor/paddle too far.
Might be able to come down and anchor next to you with the kayak help you get a few extra tagged

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
anchored off the reck yesterday (thursday) just to give it a try. fished the ebb started 2 hrs after high water and left 1 1/2 before low water (i could see part of the wreck). started fishing two rods but give up and fished just the one. baits were being stripped as soon as they were lowered down. i caught about 20 in total including a couple of double hook-ups. its amazing to see 3 or 4 others triggers following the fish as you fetch it to the boat. was wondering if you could tie up say 3 boats along side each other with mr triggerfish in the middle boat doing the tagging. i would be up for it weather permitting as i have to come from swansea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds like the begginings of a plan.
How does sunday the 6th sound?

I'm in Australia at the moment (its a hard life ;) ) so have patchy internet be back bank holiday monday.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Id be up for this, i got the boat and a spare bilge pump, so i could rig up a live 50 litre bucket to keep them if they are coming up faster than can be tagged! I could fish 4, maybe even 6 on my boat if needs be! Id actually like to have some people on board that can bloody catch fish, my dad and I SUCK AT IT!!!!

I also got a kayak that sits two people, one fish one paddle to make things easier?????? happy to bring it down, but I cant see us being short!

I think two big factors are the weather and how many of us can get away on two consecutive days!!!!

Its taken me 20 mins to write this, my mind keeps drifting off to the time i spent in Australia, spent two days snorkelling the barrier reef! Never seen anything like it gents, IF ONLY THEY LET YOU USE A ROD!

·
Registered
57 Posts
i'll be up for this one guys, depending on weather conditions though obviosly as i will be on my kayak. used to work for the environment agency tagging sea trout and salmon ,so i would be well up for this..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice. I was hoping to organise a Triggerfish tagging day in the form of a competition on mumbles pier on the weekend of the 5th/6th of September with the help of the guys at Basstastic and the Mumbles Motorboat and Fishing Club. As yet they've not got back to me. The format I was considering was people would register for the day, I'd pay pier entry and bait and there'd be a prize for the most Triggerfish caught.

I was wondering whether you thought this was a good idea or whether it would be better to tag off a boat. In which case I'd be looking for the use of a boat (which I'd pay the fuel for) and some volunteers to come fish (which I'd pay the bait for).
Thanks for your help
Triggerfiish
sorry , i thought xomeone fromthe MMBFC had been in touch. I'm sure we could organise something for you BUT the cost will be more than if you had the assistance of one of the private owners off here, unless we can persuade the members who fish to cough up for the trip. If you did want us to I'll have to speak to one of the other skippers as I'm not going to be around that weekend.
Also, I know the club have a functionon in the evening so that may affect the number of people who are willing to participate.
PM me if you want me to look into it.
Nobby

·
Registered
784 Posts
i got a mate in the marina who got a big boat with a rib,he has always got marine biologists on board he just done a survey in oxwich bay for the razor fish i can ask him for you

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I will be launching at Oxwich about 0900 on Sunday 6th Sept to take part in the tagging effort in some way or another, so anybody who has any worms left over after the Golden Grey Meet on 5th at Llangenith, I will gladly take them from you in the car park, & give them a "home" for the Sunday. If there is a good amount I can share them out amongst any kayakers (who will be the most likely catchers) who have arrived from places where they couldn't get bait.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts