World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please give advice as to best procedure and practice?
This is the first year i have had a boat.
I have just removed my boat from the mooring for the winter and are going to do a few jobs on (electric questions to follow on other thread soon), firstly i am tackling the cleaning of the outside.
I have scraped all the barnacles off the bottom of the boat, it was previously antifouled but not sure if it was last year or 2 years ago, i had about half bucket off.(boat is 16ft long)
I have now started to clean it with water soft brush and light scouring pad.
Some of the antifoul is coming off (black on spounge etc)
I have stopped for now as it is pouring down, but am i doing the right thing with scouring pad?
If i am i will carry on untill all the rubbish is off bottom.
Will i have to antifoul it again before it goes back in?
How soon does it need doing ie straight away or anytime before it goes back in?
THANKS

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Dutchmaan.

Start by blasting the muck off with a pressure washer. If the antifoul has worked then any marine life should be relatively easy to remove.
The longer you leave the barnacles untouched, the harder they become to remove. You can scrape them off carefully with an old chisel or get a spray (probably based on hydrocholic acid) to remove them if there is a lot to do.
Wet the antifoul before scrubbing it, the fact that you see it come off shows it’s the abrading/eroding type designed to slowly wear away carrying the weed and organisms with it. You should avoid breathing the dust it forms when scrubbing and sanding – hence the need to wet it.

Any patches that have eroded back to the gel coat should be treated with a primer; I use primacon.
Use a roller to apply the antifoul but read the instructions first. Two things to look out for are what coverage do you need and how long can the boat be left after the application. Usually, it is better to get the boat back into the water shortly the AF has dried. You may be better off waiting for spring.

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks baddox for the advice.
Yes the barnacles came off pretty easy, theres just a trace of where they been now on antifoul coat, and like i said above they are coming off with a light scouring pad (one you would get for your pots from wilko dark green rough and other side light green smooth).
I have seen someone once on harbour scraping them off they were like concrete, had been out of water for a while.
I am wetting it and as above and it has cleaned it off very good and must also be removing some or antifoul as black is dripping down.
Once i have completed i will try to power wash it.
And then as you advise i will prime it and re-antifoul it. (just prior to putting back in water).
Three questions,
1. can i prime anytime or just before the antifoul?
2. Is primer and antifoul like a waterbased paint?
3. How much will i need of each and approx cost?
THANKS.

·
Registered
646 Posts
1. I don’t know if you need to paint over the primer within a certain time; personally, I just paint the primer on one day then the AF the next.
2. Primer and AF are solvent based and contain an unhealthy mixture of chemicals that you should avoid contact with.
3. Hull coverage is about 8 square metres per litre; recommendation is to apply two coats. Cost depends on which brand and type you buy, ask other boat owners in your area what they use as best options may vary by location.

More info. Here…
http://www.yachtpaint.com/gbr/diy/media-centre/boat-painting-guide.aspx

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Baddox.
Just thought that once clean and dry may have benifitted from primer at that time and then af prior to putting back in water, but will do both near the time next spring.
Is that one coat of primer and two of antifoul?
Dont know what i was saying "is it waterbased" you must have thought i was a right wally! didnt mean that i meant something completely different.
Will have to put something on drive less missus will be going mad and when i decorating the house its all over me, god knows what ill be like after doing underneath boat.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Just spent a happy (not) few hours under the boat doing this very job - I do the same as Baddox suggests except, instead of the scouring pad, I use a coarse wet and dry paper to get the old antifoul really clean, get rid of any flaking and rub the edges down of any exposed patches (I'm on a drying mooring so the antifoul takes a pounding), then give a thorough was off with a sponge and hose to ensure no dust is left. My boat is out of the water for the winter months and I spread the joy of being under the boat by doing the cleaning off and rubbing down now then the painting just before it goes back in March - I think most antifoul has a max of a two month window between painting and getting wet, but supposedly the closer you can get to the boat getting wet, the better (generally 2-3 days for me).

You can prime at this time of year and leave it a few months before the antifoul coat in the spring, but if you do so you will have to abrade the primer first, whereas if you apply it then the top coat within a few days it can go straight on. Given the fun of being under the boat, for one less session sanding underneath, I'd leave the priming until you're ready to paint the antifoul.

Finally, you say the boat is 16ft but don't mention what type - if it does more than 25knots, for most makes of paint you will need a hard type antifoul - check the your chosen maker's website for specs.

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Clinker,
My boat also on mooring where it is on sand when tides out.
The boat is a Microplus 502 with Yamaha 40hp autolube, Dont think it will reach 25knots.
"LOVELY JOB" Lying underneath reaching through trailer scraping barnacles and using scouring pad, black water running up your sleeve, then phone rings or someone shouts you, ha GREAT this boat ownership.
Got all barnaclles off and front third done with scouring pad, weather stopped me now its been pouring down, only had time to try few things on engine this morning.
I will finish it off clean then leave until spring to prime and af before it goes back in.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Thanks again Clinker,
My boat also on mooring where it is on sand when tides out.
The boat is a Microplus 502 with Yamaha 40hp autolube, Dont think it will reach 25knots.
"LOVELY JOB" Lying underneath reaching through trailer scraping barnacles and using scouring pad, black water running up your sleeve, then phone rings or someone shouts you, ha GREAT this boat ownership.
Got all barnaclles off and front third done with scouring pad, weather stopped me now its been pouring down, only had time to try few things on engine this morning.
I will finish it off clean then leave until spring to prime and af before it goes back in.
You forgot to mention the black water running down your neck as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.