World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lure fishing about a year now and I’ve had 6 Bass this year so far. I went lure fishing yesterday in a south Devon estuary at first light and low tide. The tide was only small, but there was loads of fish activity in the water. Lots of Bass were really in very close (about 18 inches of water) with their backs out the water swimming around the rocks and weed, I have never seen so much activity and I thought all my Christmas come at once. I threw everything at them, Feed shallow, tide minnow, maria chase, sluggo and xlayer, but no joy. I even saw 2 large fish together about 10 yards in front of me while I had the sluggo on, so I slowly twitched between the 2 fish, they got spooked and swam in the opposite direction away from the sluggo. I did have once good bite on the xlayer, took a load of line then dropped it. I am wondering if bass in estuaries are more selective in their food, and perhaps these fish were only eating crabs or am I a complete muppet fisherman, I would have thought in those conditions it would be hard to fail, anyone experienced similar? Or any suggestions

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Its probably a stupid question, but they were definately not Mullet?

Assuming they were Bass, not a lot you can do in those situations than to try everything in the box, I was seeing loads of smaller Bass a couple of weeks ago, swimming in 2's and 3's within feet of me whilst wading, and had countless follows. I eventually managed a couple by using the smallest plug I had. Alternatively, lob a fat peeler at them!

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,858 Posts
I have been lure fishing about a year now and I’ve had 6 Bass this year so far. I went lure fishing yesterday in a south Devon estuary at first light and low tide. The tide was only small, but there was loads of fish activity in the water. Lots of Bass were really in very close (about 18 inches of water) with their backs out the water swimming around the rocks and weed, I have never seen so much activity and I thought all my Christmas come at once. I threw everything at them, Feed shallow, tide minnow, maria chase, sluggo and xlayer, but no joy. I even saw 2 large fish together about 10 yards in front of me while I had the sluggo on, so I slowly twitched between the 2 fish, they got spooked and swam in the opposite direction away from the sluggo. I did have once good bite on the xlayer, took a load of line then dropped it. I am wondering if bass in estuaries are more selective in their food, and perhaps these fish were only eating crabs or am I a complete muppet fisherman, I would have thought in those conditions it would be hard to fail, anyone experienced similar? Or any suggestions
Maybee you could try some sort of crab imitation (gulp) or did you try a small 'popper' (without rattle) in the shallow water.
I have seen this many times but they were always Mullet behaving this way etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were Bass, I could tell from the dorsel fin and they were only about 3 meters from me. I did think about getting some crab or crayfish lures, I know megabass do them, but I never thought of a situation where they would be any use in this country, up until now that is. I am wondering with the rich food sources in estuaries, the bass are plentiful but also more selective and less opportunistic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts