World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have just got myself a 13ft sit on fishing kayak, I have looked at some fishing vid's for tips on what to ware and where too fish but I can't find much for around west wales,

do I ware chest waders or wetsuit ? where do I launch from and do I have to pay for that + parking ?

I will probably be ok for the summer time as I will just go down to amroth as I seen a lot of kayaks there last year.

any help appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Chest waders a big no no.

Drysuit for the cold weather roughly October til may then wet suit for the warmer months.

Go on the Kayak forum on here or join on SWKA for all the info you need.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Chest waders a big no no.

Drysuit for the cold weather roughly October til may then wet suit for the warmer months.

Go on the Kayak forum on here or join on SWKA for all the info you need.
+1 to this.

I thought I'd get away with just a wetsuit but quickly learned you need to be dressed for being in the water as that's where you'll be if things go wrong. I bought a gul gamma drysuit for less than £200 and it's worth its weight in gold!

G

·
You'll see a lot launching off Coppet, nice new car park, but pricey.

Wisemans is free to park, if you get there early enough.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Agree with 1st reply, go on the swka.org very helpfull and members from all over the uk.great bunch of lads

·
Premium Member
38,495 Posts
Agree with above plus get yourself a buddy to go with who knows the ropes, try a few sessions without any kit because you need to know how to handle the yak including getting back on if required. I am not being rude but your waders statement shows you have no idea about using a yak.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks all, and for the waders bit that is just what I have seen a few wearing

the 2 lads that posted the vid on here last Saturday about oxwich they both looked like where wearing flotation suites and wellies.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
They were wearing dry suits and neoprene boots...a floaty suit is not a good idea as they take on water and become so heavy that you wont be able to re-enter you kayak following a capsize....drysuit with correct thermal under garments,neoprene shoes/boots and a lifejacket is the way to go.
Its a lot more involved than you may at first think,get onto the correct forum and there is a wealth of info available for you.

·
Registered
951 Posts
ok thanks all, and for the waders bit that is just what I have seen a few wearing

the 2 lads that posted the vid on here last Saturday about oxwich they both looked like where wearing flotation suites and wellies.
Both me and Pae73 had one of these on....
VirtueMart Category View (gul gamma) - Escape Watersports - Online Canoe, Kayak and SUP Shop

I have wetsuit boots on and Pae73 has boots that he cut from an old wetsuit. As Richy says there's more to this than just getting a yak n paddle and off you go. On some of these programs you watch where people are wearing all the gear you mention, there is a boat following them around so if anything goes wrong or they end up in the water, 2 or 3 people would probably jump in to save them. Us mortals don't have that so need to prepare for the worse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks for the info lads, but for me it will have to be a wetsuit and some layers and wait till about may lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts