World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been boat fishing for 14 months and keep my traces in plasic bags or trace wallets inside a seat box. This is ok but a bit of a carry on when looking for a different trace as they get all muddled up. I have read/heard about winding traces onto bits of foam and storing them in the lid of the seat box....anyone no how this works? How do the traces stay under the lid? will they not get wet and rust? or am i missing something? Any advice welcome. thanks.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i just use a rig wallet, write on the pouch/pocket what rig is in there and put 2 or 3 rigs (each in ther own poly grip bag from veals) into that single pocket. if that makes sence

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
rig wallets, the bags u get ya hooks in, if u buy them in bags that is:)
or u can get a hell of alot of rigs in the storage cases 4 cd's, buy them in-
20's,40's, 80's or even 120's.
i use a 80's case & keep them in the shed, then just take out what i need & put
them in my rig wallet 4 a trip. then u know which 1's need replaceing.:g:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
rig wallet! and half inch a letting agents/ estate agents bourd they put
out side places! chop it up wind your trace round it and stuff it in ya wallet!
job done! a good one if your getting muddled up is have some sort of ID
that dosnt involve writing on your wallet! i make my paternosters up with red
beads, running ledgers yellow, bombers green etc etc! all on the rig body not on the snood if you get me!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
cd wallets picked up in pound shops ,you can get 100 pkt ones that are the mutts
coil rigs and pack them away write on the outside what kind for instance feathers ,clipped up etc

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
i will have up to 100 rigs in a single wallet. use money bags or resealable bags. depending on the type of rig you can get a few of these in each pocket of your wallet.

drop a peice of paper in the front of the pocket with the type of rigs in it or as i do i put a peice in with each rig. writing on the packet or pocket means its harder to re use them for a different rig.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
half inch a letting agents/ estate agents bourd they put
out side places! chop it up wind your trace round it and stuff it in ya wallet!
No need to go the thieving route. Most American white grapes are now shipped in boxes made from the same stuff, rather than cardboard. Just ask at your local supermarket. I first used beer mats but they fell apart when wet, I use foam winders for some rigs but find the corrugated plastic is best, especially for multi-hook rigs

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i will have up to 100 rigs in a single wallet. use money bags or resealable bags. depending on the type of rig you can get a few of these in each pocket of your wallet.

drop a peice of paper in the front of the pocket with the type of rigs in it or as i do i put a peice in with each rig. writing on the packet or pocket means its harder to re use them for a different rig.
cd pen mate its waterproof scratch proof and you always get them in pairs and never use the red one :)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
cd pen mate its waterproof scratch proof and you always get them in pairs and never use the red one :)
know what you mean and have loads but once the bag has 3/0 pulley writen on it, its not much good for a flapper. the way i do it the same bag can be used again and again until it drops to bits with a different rig every time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have used the grey pipe lagging you get from DIY stores, you can cut it to a length that will fit in your box and wind on as many rigs as you need to take for your session. After a while of doing that, I gave up as everything was getting in a mess, and I didn't know what was what. Now I put newly made up rigs in poly bags I write on what each one is and put them in those tupperware type boxes by target species. Its just a case of grabbing what you want and going!! I do keep a bit of that lagging in the box for used rigs so that they can be cleaned and inspected before being put back in a polybag.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have been boat fishing for 14 months and keep my traces in plasic bags or trace wallets inside a seat box. This is ok but a bit of a carry on when looking for a different trace as they get all muddled up. I have read/heard about winding traces onto bits of foam and storing them in the lid of the seat box....anyone no how this works? How do the traces stay under the lid? will they not get wet and rust? or am i missing something? Any advice welcome. thanks.
i use the grey pipe lagging from [email protected] the rig around the lagging and sink the hook in it,no more tangled rigs......yipee

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
know what you mean and have loads but once the bag has 3/0 pulley writen on it, its not much good for a flapper. the way i do it the same bag can be used again and again until it drops to bits with a different rig every time.
yeah i see what you mean

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ebay item number: 140111955626 I use this guy here for re sealable bags. I put all my rigs in individual bags and then put them into a rig wallet, putting 3 or so of the same type of rig in each sleve of the wallet, then just label them up. Also I would highly recommend the Anyfish Anywhere Sea Match Organiser for keeping all your rigs and other little bits and pieces in a tidy state.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
i use the grey pipe lagging from [email protected] the rig around the lagging and sink the hook in it,no more tangled rigs......yipee
this is the sort of thin we did in the 70s before there was such a thing as rig wallets or money bags.

it fine when your only carrying a couple of rigs but gets bulky when you need lots of each rig and lots of different patterns.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I only use three basic rigs - flapper/wishbone/leger so don't carry many with me. The hooks only go rusty I find!

For those I do carry, I use a large jiffy-bag rolled up tightly and secured with a bit of gaffer-tape. This will hold up to half a dozen rigs no problem and seems to be quite durable - been using the same one >12 months now! Hook-holds are good so they don't drop out easily :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
i get very finicky with my rigs so carry atleast 2 wallets that can have up 100 rigs in each.

i can change the type of rig i,m using a couple of times in the first hour until i find whats going to work. then these can be changed during the session depending on what species turn up and at what distance.

then... when i settle on a particular rig i like to have a minimum of 5 to 10 of that particular rig. theres nothing worse than finding a rig thats working then running out of them.

but i take it too the extreme and realise that most dont.

i fish with a mate who will make the rig as he needs it on the mark and another who only ever takes 2 pulleys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts