World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon all

im after up grading my boat in the near future,i have come up with 4 which i think are good possabilities,please can i have your expert advice and knowlege on them and if there are any others i should consider pro's and con's

many thanks

warrior 165
predator 160
jeanneau merry fisher 530
quicksilver 500 piolet hose

for got to say it would have to be trailable, i live on anglesey but there are several places i would like to launch from

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
There are some very good boat reports on this site, have a read of them. All very informative.
I,ve recently sold a Samurai (very similar to a Warrior) and bought a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 625 so I am a bit biased towards the Jeanneau. Having said that IMO the Jeanneua's finish and build quality is way and above the other boats you mention particularly the Quicksilver. There have been several horror stories on this forum about cracks and leaks in the Quicksilver range of boats.
Warriors are very popular so that must be seen as a strong recommendation and on a good Rollercoaster trailer are a dream to launch.

Afishionado

·
Registered
267 Posts
Seems to me that you have two different types of boat here: A cuddy fisher type and a pilot house design - two different beasts. Decide first on the type of design, then look at individual examples.

As for a cuddy-type, I would certainly put the Raider into the frame as well as the Samurai.

For the pilot house design, you might like to add the Ocqueteau, Texas or Raider (the same, I think). The ZENIT 535 looks good value.......

C

·
0 Posts
Forget the QS500. Even the dealers dont like them. They look very dangerous in a choppy sea, far too top heavy for the length.
I have had problems with my QS640 but they were all sorted under warranty and I got £2k cash back from the importers for the trouble!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks cascars
ive crossed that off my list.
thats my problem i have a mayland 17' at the moment what are the differences between the both types

T

·
0 Posts
The Quicksilver does have the odd issue on warranty (every boat you ever buy will), maybe a few more than it's fair share. More importantly the 500 is trying too hard to be one or two feet bigger and it doesn't do it.

This is not my words, but those of a Quicksilver dealer when discussing the best and worst boats we had been lucky enough to drive.
"It's one of the worst boats on the water, feels so dangerous and unstable, just lie a bathtub with a cabin on it".

If you upped your search to the Quicksilver 580 you would then have a reasonably stable little boat. Still the same issues as many others, but usable.

The Warrior 165 is the "designer brand" of open cuddy fishers and is a reasonably built, pleasant angling boat. Good on the water, benefits from trim tabs, fairly quick. You will have little onboard comfort and you will take a bucket of water in the face from time to time, particularly in a cross wind when spray is whipped around the forward running rear edge of the cuddy.
The Predator will be a very similar boat to the Warrior and will have the same pros and cons.

The Merry Fisher 530 does actually work well as a Pilot House as the actual heavy superstructure is kept to a minimum up top. This prevents her being any less stable than similar open cuddy designs.
She will be fractionally slower than the other two if fitted with the equivalent engines. Expect a 50Hp 4 stroke to provide mid / low 20knot performance and a 70Hp (maximum) to provide close to 30 knots. The hull is a good sea hull. She benefits from having a little keel running to two thirds of the way down. This provides excellent steerage at low speeds and also helps the boat drift at a sensible angle rather than spinning like many full planning hulls.
Whilst not being a gin palace, she certainly does have a higher level of trim than the other two boats and is strongly built and fitte out. If you do get a problem, you do have a strong dealer network more or less nationwide to look after you to.
I say more or less becuase at Christmas, your local dealer went into liquidation after the directors were found to being a little less than honest. I don't think Jeanneau have reappointed a dealer for North Wales yet so you will need to find one that you feel you can trust and that you are comfortable with.

....I just happen to know a good one that also has a 530 in stock right now, but I suggest you ask Afishionado and others on here as to whether or not he is any good and true to his word.

Happy hunting
Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
I went for a Predator 160 over a warrior 165 , in my opinion the warrior is a similar boat to the Predator but the Predator 160 represents better value for money,The other 2 boats I cannot comment on, but having seen a Jeanneau in the flesh I think I would seriuosly consider one as my next boat

IMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts