World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The time has come to upgrade the beach rods which are sonik sk3 13ft 4 to 6oz which have served well for 5 years as I gave up sea fishing to do more carp fishing but got the bug back now so time for a treat well a pair of. Most of my fishing is beaches Walton on the Naze to st osyth and the piers now and again, aldeburgh, Orford island now and again so 4 to 5oz is sufficient but sometimes require 6s when tides running but I do feel that these soniks have a stiff tip so doesn’t help holding the grippers in a strong tide, distance is not great with pendulum not full blown as still need to gain more confidence and with a better pedigree rod being a big help so slowly getting their and would love to be putting bait well over 200yrds over time, my multis are standard 7ht’s with Abu ceramic bearings and run well with yellow rocket fuel (7ht mags next) Im liking the spec of the century tip tornado LD supermatch and my local tackle shop is getting me 2 of them in this week for me to view but not being able to test out first on the beach with the grounds I fish would the ttldsm be a good match or should I be looking at another TT? any info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a long way indeed but I’m no where near to it with what I’m using, I’ve removed the brakes and only had 2 bad birdies in 20 trips and with the opportunity to upgrade the rods and century being my choice of rod, was just hoping of getting peoples experiences with this rod hopefully in the areas I fish. As down st osyth last week at seawick park on hol tried popping into to see mr holgate at Metcalfes in Walton for a chat with them but they are always closed, shame as was going to book a lesson with him. Maybe next time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T800s slightly out of my budget which is £800 max, maybe one day in the future. With getting new 7ht mags in next few months any more and the misses might impose a fishing ban

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have a look at the kompressor S , it's a much more forgiving rod. You should be able to pick one up new for under £400.

The kompresor SS , is a tough rod to fully load. I'm guessing the big hard hitting pendulum guys can thump a lead 200yrds with it.
I struggled to reach 150 with it.

If you know anyone who will allow you to have a cast of their rods would be a good idea , before you go and spend you're cash on a rod only to find out it doesn't suit.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Go for a pair of the standard Supermatch's, brilliant rods and well thought of. 200 yards without bait is hard enough to achieve let alone with bait, it would not just be down to casting technique alone, conditions/baits would play a major part also, most anglers (myself included) probably cast on a good day with plain weight 175 ish yards more or less max but some like to think it's nearer 275 ! with bait probably hit between 125/150 depending on bait/conditions, more than enough to catch target species like Rays etc, ultra long casting is the domain of tournament casters, us more standard people have to be more realistic !!

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
To be absolutely honest, I don't reckon anybody could get a baited trace out over 200 yards with that rod.
I stand to be corrected if someone has.

Getting bait out that distance, even small bait, needs a very serious caster at one end and a fairly sizeable sinker the other - 6oz minimum, I would think - to overcome the added air resistance.

At a top rating of just over 5oz (I know they can do more) i am not sure it has the guts to do it?

Jeremy Schrader is the man to PM. He is on here, developed and designed the rod, is a pretty tidy caster and has bound to have tested it with a jelly worm on the field during that process.

Very nice rod though, capable of great distances. Don't get caught up in the Top Trumps thing, as fishing is not about impressing the guy next to you with a distant splash but about bending it with a fish on.

We have all been there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I fully agree with what you are saying.

I also fly fish and the number of times I've heard guys say they can cast a full line and some baking is incredible. 9 out of 10 times they can't and if they can , they are normally casting over the fish.

I'd say the average angler will be lucky to cast 75- 100 yards .

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
East Coast Angler ,
The TTLDSM rods are a sweet tool for fishing and capable of very good distances but lets discuss what you ae wanting first.
200 yards with a baited rig, as an average across the different conditions that anglers face as well as safety aspects I would say that this wont be achieved regardless of the rod used. I have hit 230+ meters with the LDSM but that was on a casting field with a tournament reel running quite fast. With the likes of a Penn 525 Mag or Daiwa 7HT mag and baited rig running 150 gram lead and decent clipped down bait 100 to 130 meters would be a more realistic target.

Casting on the field

Casting into headwind on the Beach where footing isn't the most stable

Casting into a strong headwind.

In regards to sinker weight selection the rod will handle them and should be quite good on clean beaches etc. Off the high piers that are the norm in the UK I would possibly look more at the Tip Tornado Match especially with the new model as she is a very sweet casting rod and has more power in the butt section if you are lifting fish up from higher ground.

If you do a search on this sight I have done a more detailed review on the rod but am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about them as I have a large collection of Centurys that I use for my fishing and casting.

If you are close to Newcastle I am currently visiting and will more than likely be heading down to the Tyne for a cast and fish before I fly out on Sunday.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry I shouldn’t of mentioned the distances I’d love to achieve one day with lots of practice and I do understand the ttldsm is not the tool for that. Purchasing these century tt is a big stepping stone to help me to get closer than what I getting now and have a rod that can take a bit of punishment so I can gain confidence hitting a good pendulum cast without feeling like the rod is going snap.
Having good bite indication is a big factor too as the sensitivity of the sk3 from sonik is poor, I’m not after a broom pole for 400 quid a stick and have always wanted century beach casters for as long as I can remember (don’t know why) but make good rods both sea and carp, same as I always wanted Harrison carp rods so got 3 torrix te specials and wow what a rod,super slim, light, powerful for casting and playing big fish, biggest yet being a 61LB wels cat which tested the lower power in the butt section, being round a lake for days is my main joy in life just not so much in the winter as being stuck in a bivvy freezing my tits has no appeal, this is when I get out more on the beach or pier.
Not to bothered what the guy fishing next to me thinks of my setup, nor am I of his. we all do it our own way. Now my carp fishing YES I will admit I’m a tackle tart but buying wise, good manufacturer, usually will outlast the cheaper tackle but everyone has their own budget which differs from the next, this doesn’t make you catch anymore fish I know just catch’s the anglers pockets. Lots of luck, weather plus good bait helps with that bit.
I always use a drop net when fishing piers so any biggies get pulled up in that.
Thank you all if I’ve not said already and cheers Jeremy for the vids and yes your the man to speak to being as you had input with the making of the ttldsm, top fella.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
you say your budget is 800 quid ,,, well for that you will get a t800 with a reducer and a 7ht mag no problem , shop around meny good shops will give you discount on a rod and reel set up , iv paired my t800 up with a j-curve another good rod to look at ,,, and you say you like harrison rods , then try a p2 if you find that not quite your liking then go for the q3 which in my eyes is about as good as you will ever get

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had an ldsm, just sold it on after using twice, it was too flimsy for me. I like a rod with some power and a nice tip, this rod had a nice tip but not the power I would like. I now have a pair of afaw match pros for clean ground work, and they have loads of power. A local lad casted one at westwards and got 270y+so they are more then capable-if you are up to it. Also they will take 5-7oz no trouble plus big baits..i would look at these or a standard supermatch tbh

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I’m getting a pair though mike
Personally if I was in your position ,I'd buy the t800 and reel and fish it alongside your sonic ,and as you become more confident with your casting and liking the t800 ,I'd then get the t900 and you'll have a pair of rods to cover all your fishing sinario's

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The time has come to upgrade the beach rods which are sonik sk3 13ft 4 to 6oz which have served well for 5 years as I gave up sea fishing to do more carp fishing but got the bug back now so time for a treat well a pair of. Most of my fishing is beaches Walton on the Naze to st osyth and the piers now and again, aldeburgh, Orford island now and again so 4 to 5oz is sufficient but sometimes require 6s when tides running but I do feel that these soniks have a stiff tip so doesn’t help holding the grippers in a strong tide, distance is not great with pendulum not full blown as still need to gain more confidence and with a better pedigree rod being a big help so slowly getting their and would love to be putting bait well over 200yrds over time, my multis are standard 7ht’s with Abu ceramic bearings and run well with yellow rocket fuel (7ht mags next) Im liking the spec of the century tip tornado LD supermatch and my local tackle shop is getting me 2 of them in this week for me to view but not being able to test out first on the beach with the grounds I fish would the ttldsm be a good match or should I be looking at another TT? any info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance
Just in case you don't know there is a new ttldsm in a graphex version just in case you're interested in fact also there's a whole new range in the tip tornado series and the there's lots of talk and anticipation abt these new rods being lighter with this new material.
I can't comment on these rods as as their new rods that just got released and I'm also interested as many others.
Cheers buddy

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
im going to be honest i love top end rods but i couldnt think of a more pointless rod a graphex ttldsm......... buy your self a afaw 4 and bait and save how many hundreds??? i mean seriosuly why does that rod need to be any lighter? unless you really are loaded...
Have you tried it?

I am guessing the answer.

Why buy any nice rod?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts