World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thankfully it's also illegal to hunt with a Bow in the UK :uhuh:
so you think picking a target fish and shooting an arrow at a moving target isnt sporting
i saw about 3 /4 fish out of hundreds get shot in that vid and all fish shot looked keeping size

·
Registered
266 Posts
so you think picking a target fish and shooting an arrow at a moving target isnt sporting
i saw about 3 /4 fish out of hundreds get shot in that vid and all fish shot looked keeping size

Thats probably just as well, may be difficult putting them back.

BTW, Davy didnt say it wasn't sporting, just that its not legal in this country.

Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
a bunch of **** kickers with crossbows on boats and hunting reminds me to much of deliverance lol.no doubt it takes a lot of skill to hit any moving target but what about the ones that get clipped or get off?trust a bloody american to turn fishing into a projectile weapon sport :clap3: :uhuh:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thats probably just as well, may be difficult putting them back.

BTW, Davy didnt say it wasn't sporting, just that its not legal in this country.

Bill
and i never said it was legal

you wouldnt aim at a fish undersized though so putting it back wouldnt be an option
ive seen this type of fishing done for salmon ,leaping at falls
and it (when you think about it ) requires a quick eye and some degree of skill
i dont think you would fill your freezer everyday on it more likely to spend an hour or two getting a couple of fish for the pot and remove the spool etc and go off for some target practice .
trouble with vids like that is they might be one offs or filmed by goons

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thankfully it's also illegal to hunt with a Bow in the UK :uhuh:
Davy - So far as I am aware, we are not talking 'mammals' on land. The tread is about "fish". Therefore use of spears etc is only restricted / illegal in designated SSSi's and Estuaries and similar areas where there in "an order" in place, e.g. The Dee and Salcombe. The British Sub Auqa Club seems to make it a no/no for their members, and other 'conservation groups' make a lot of noises. I was a diver years ago and there was always a discussion as to legal = snorkle but not tanks ! but I seem to think it was the BSAC driving that discussion... I think a lot of 'discussion' comes out of cases where "other activities" were taking place and following police actions were related to same e..g. poaching at fish farm / trespass / criminal damage / assalt / offensive weapon. I also seem to remember that the use of "instruments" inc. nets and spears, has been placed in "Orders" relating to commercial fishing licences. This may be of interest to many..
http://www.cefas.co.uk/publications/files/sportsfishing-c2362.pdf

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i cant see it ever being acceptable in the uk ,we have laws in place that would make such a thing illegall ie offensive weapons in public places within boundries of paths etc and no angling club would allow such activity
personally i would prefer using a fly rod but as i say i can see the atraction

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not doubting the skill in hitting a fish with a 'long' bow even at close range, but I would be seriously concerned about the number of fish winged and consigned to die slowly (presumably).

There would also be ample opportunity for fellow travellers on this boat or the others nearby to be hit (but hey, that 's their problem!)

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Dont get it, wheres the fun in that? Next they will be throwing darts at the fish. I know lets all think of something hugely original and make it into a sport with expensive gear and glow in the dark spears. Im American woo, yeeeahhh, wooo, get it that fish, woo yeaahhh, yeee haaa etc etc ad infinitum.:blink: :uhuh:

·
Registered
24,203 Posts
I think you will find the Yanks copied their fishing with bows from the inhabitants of Borneo / Polynesia etc. .

For the UK , I seem to recall so long as your bow/cross bow is unstringed and your bolts/arrows are quivered you can carry them in a public place .(not allowed to shoot mammals with them though )

It would be strange to find a law that says you cannot use them to hunt fish in a river whilst you are on the river .( thinking here.... that a river is not a place
" WHERE THE PUBLIC HAVE READY ACCESS , " but a river and fish are not mammals )

On the sea I doubt that there are any laws covering the use of either of them but on a beach or rock on the shore line or or pier then there most likely is.
I wonder about off shore rocks ??

When spear fishing from above the water ,many years ago , I was taught to spear in front of the fish by about 1/3 of its length .

This was due to the refraction of the water making the fish to appear in a different place ( water bends the light ) I only caught one fish , it was our only decent food of the day .

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I think you will find the Yanks copied their fishing with bows from the inhabitants of Borneo / Polynesia etc. .

For the UK , I seem to recall so long as your bow/cross bow is unstringed and your bolts/arrows are quivered you can carry them in a public place .(not allowed to shoot mammals with them though )

It would be strange to find a law that says you cannot use them to hunt fish in a river whilst you are on the river .( thinking here.... that a river is not a place
" WHERE THE PUBLIC HAVE READY ACCESS , " but a river and fish are not mammals )

On the sea I doubt that there are any laws covering the use of either of them but on a beach or rock on the shore line or or pier then there most likely is.
I wonder about off shore rocks ??

When spear fishing from above the water ,many years ago , I was taught to spear in front of the fish by about 1/3 of its length .

This was due to the refraction of the water making the fish to appear in a different place ( water bends the light ) I only caught one fish , it was our only decent food of the day .
i think id give it a go if in a country it was accepted ,i dont think it will catch on the uk though public opinion would see to that and perhaps rightly so given that anyone could do it and weve all seen those neds down the beach

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I can just see it now instead of fluff chucking for mackerel in the summer, all the edjits will be using bow and arrows or compound bows, running all over the rocks of the local pier waiting for the macky to jump.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm not too bothered as those are silver carp a highly invasive non native species that are destroying the Americans native fishing. However there are a lot better ways to catch fish and I think it is pretty sick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts