Why not try it ?
Reasonable question

Reactions: 501ph

·
Banned
217 Posts
Why not try it ?
Reasonable question
Can you image that AFAW don't already use the blank as a multiplier rod? It is probably the Tournament Match Pro, I don't know as I haven't used one. Why pay £400 and use a rod with big alconites with a multiplier when you can buy something purpose built?

The GB FS Pro is certainly a more powerful blank than my other AFAW rods. I have one and find it too powerful for an all rounder. I prefer fishing mine reel down and loading it with a back cast or pendulum. It has a great tip and has landed double figure rays and hounds with ease. The day I bought mine my Veret Nuvelo 9 went up for sale as the AFAW did everything better than the Veret.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you image that AFAW don't already use the blank as a multiplier rod? It is probably the Tournament Match Pro, I don't know as I haven't used one. Why pay £400 and use a rod with big alconites with a multiplier when you can buy something purpose built?

The GB FS Pro is certainly a more powerful blank than my other AFAW rods. I have one and find it too powerful for an all rounder. I prefer fishing mine reel down and loading it with a back cast or pendulum. It has a great tip and has landed double figure rays and hounds with ease. The day I bought mine my Veret Nuvelo 9 went up for sale as the AFAW did everything better than the Veret.
It’s definitely not a tournament match pro, the reason I ask is that it seems very similar to the big beach which you can’t buy anymore

·
Banned
217 Posts
It’s definitely not a tournament match pro, the reason I ask is that it seems very similar to the big beach which you can’t buy anymore
That makes sense too, recycling / repurposing a blank. I hope someone comments that has used both as I would like to try a multiplier rung version of the blank.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I own a pair of these and they are simply superb. Very slim and steely, very fast recovery. They handle 5-7oz but still retain an awesome fishing tip. They also cast very well and have done some big distances. An absolute joy to use on braid.

I owned a big beach mk2 previously and they are very similar in power but the FS Pro is higher grade carbon as well as being slimmer.

They would make a beautiful multiplier rod so if you can pick up one cheap it would be worthwhile rebuilding for multiplier use.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Am dithering choose between GB FS Pro and TT Graphex Sport, neither of which my nearest (Westward Ho) tackle shop stocks for a waggle. Am not not arsed about re-sale value, manufacturers name etc and both seem too get good reviews, but would like opinion on which of the two makes for the better FISHING rod?

I fish fs reel up with braid, 6oz mixed ground, cast OTG, lack the room to pendulum and crap at it anyway :(

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Am dithering choose between GB FS Pro and TT Graphex Sport, neither of which my nearest (Westward Ho) tackle shop stocks for a waggle. Am not not arsed about re-sale value, manufacturers name etc and both seem too get good reviews, but would like opinion on which of the two makes for the better FISHING rod?

I fish fs reel up with braid, 6oz mixed ground, cast OTG, lack the room to pendulum and crap at it anyway :(
AFAW for me, they have a beautiful fishing tip yet are slim and steely. Awesome fishing rods and in no way a poker. They do everything.
If I were you i'd keep an eye out for a good used one. They can be picked up quite cheaply.

The Century will need to be built from scratch as the ringing isnt right for FS reel up. They are generally rung for multiplier. Couldnt tell you what they are like as a Fishing rod but the tackle tarts love them. Saying that been quite a few up for sale:barefoot:.

With the AFAW it's a case of fix your reelseat and go, the ringing pattern isnt too far off being perfect. Being picky id have the bottom ring a touch further up the rod and have a higher stand off K Guide otherwise the spacings are good.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Have quit dithering and ordered a new AFAW, scratchcard winnings paying, so won't get too upset about the depreciation and not intending to resell anyway. Noted comment about the bottom ring, will sort that once I've managed break the original :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Have read the sticky and it's suggested 25 mm of spigot on show, at present I have 40 mm showing and 100 mm down the butt. Leave it alone and let nature take it's course, or have a fettle?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Have read the sticky and it's suggested 25 mm of spigot on show, at present I have 40 mm showing and 100 mm down the butt. Leave it alone and let nature take it's course, or have a fettle?
Clean both spigots, add a touch of grease, assemble and turn spigot, clean repeat. You should end up with a good fit. DO NOT use sandpaper. The spigots on most of the new AFAW rods are very long to cope with wear so you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You won’t need to on a new rod
All of the pro range have longer spigots
Best advice leave alone

·
Registered
189 Posts
Checked mine, been used for 18 months now, 175 gramme leads plus baits, and spigot depth is same as yours 100mm approx 40mm spare for ware. Never worried about it no knocking or creaks, it's how it should be for as new condition rod with no ware.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts