World Sea Fishing Forums banner

After a long wait Christmas has come early.

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  smooth-hound 
#1 ·
Well after placing my order last January for delivery in March, followed by a few false hopes over the following months my new Orkney longliner 2 finally made it up't North late yesterday. I got a call this morning to pop in & see it as well as discussing fitting it out. The only downside is that there's no engine to hang on the back until the next shipment due sometime in January. Still the positive is that everything will be ready to go for the coming spring.
Boat trailer Tire Wheel Boat Watercraft

Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Gadget Machine

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive tire

See less See more
#5 ·
Sticking a 25hp Mariner on, could have had a 20hp a month a go but after all this time I'll wait for the 25. There appears to be a shortage of new outboards of all sizes in the UK at the moment. Will update when I finally get to sit the completed Boat sat on my drive.

#6 ·
Sticking a 25hp Mariner on, could have had a 20hp a month a go but after all this time I'll wait for the 25
Good decision - you'll notice the difference between 20 and 25hp even if you're solo aboard. I've had a Longliner for over 4 years now and have generally been very happy with it.

#8 ·
Had a call from CTC Marine who are supplying & fitting out the boat for me this morning. Lindsay who runs CTC is keeping me informed & involved in kitting her out to the way I want everything. Today was the fine tuning of the control box & battery kill switch. Whilst there a couple of other things came up that we'd forgotten about on the last visit, like a fuel / water filter (something I think is more important with E10 petrol), lock for the outboard & positioning of aux engine bracket also a narrow boarding ladder for the odd time I might beach launch.
I've always had great service at CTC going back to the mid 90's when I bought my first new engines from them. Back then it was run by Lindsay's father, a true gent and happy to say I think the tradition is being carried on.

#16 ·
First boat was called Pierpoint as a few months before I got it we hung my mates boat on the wall as the tide went out we hadn't allowed enough rope. The last was named after a girlfriend, unfortunately I changed girlfriends before the boat. They seem to get a bit touchy about being reminded of an ex (especially when I keep it on the drive in full view from the house),so won't be making that mistake again just in case the current one has to go. 😆 😆 😆

#17 ·
Well had another visit to the workshop today as I had a call saying that everything was done and we are just waiting for the engine whenever it arrives in the country. Must admit I'm quite pleased with everything just itching to get afloat even if it's on the local river pike fishing, just to get a few hours on the engine.
Wheel Boat Boat trailer Plant community Motor vehicle

One thing I'd forgotten earlier was to get the name put on, this will be done before I pick it up.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering Machine

Just waiting for the lump to go on.

Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Trunk Motor vehicle

It's a little crowded under there, not my favorite set up having the battery so close to the fuel but not a lot of choice.

Vehicle Watercraft Motor vehicle Automotive design Boat

Seats look comfy, not the Orkney seat boxes but I could get the 2 boxes plus seats for the price of 1 Orkney box!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Boat Automotive design Naval architecture

The consol's not to cluttered, GPS/fishfinder, radio & compass. Also battery switch & aux switches.
Bit deceptive but there's plenty of room for all the junk under the cuddy.

Automotive design Naval architecture Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Watercraft

I was persuaded to go for a stubby aerial for the radio assured that it has a very similar range to a 4ft. Anyone got any experience on this?

#18 ·
Looking good Bob.
No experience to the radio aerial being a stubby.
The idea to long ones is to incrrase the height which does therefore increase range to the horizon it can be used, unless a stubby does defy the laws of physics and radiowaves, i cannot see how this can to be comparable. It will to make a difference in where you do boat. Into the busy solent where you to be never be very alone it would be okay, but i do still have a 2.4m ontop of my radar tower just incase.
If you do boat and never see another vessel, then i to say a foldable whip to be essential. You do want to be heard should you need assistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.