World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the saga of radar as a stand alone unit or as an intigrated set up on my C80?

Well her we go, stand alone, SL70c, plenty of room, say halo to my masscot 'Bulldog' he's been with me since I got my first marina based boat, which was called 'Bulldog', (still after that resonably priced, C-Map card to go with it)

Ray dome fitted to the side because internal roof lining suport battons and wiring would have got in the way. As well as, I quite like asametric balance, every one goes centeral, cemetrical, booooring, every one will know Little Gem with the radar dome on the side. Buldog was well know for her American style rod holders on the 'A' frame, 1996, that was different for Felixstowe, although not unique.

Not a patch on Davys seperb work, near journeys end now, what a story to remanis on in years to come:marinheir :1a:

ET's OPO

15,082 Posts
Ermmm....Your not gonna like what Im gonna say but your bearing line is gonna be miles out fitting the radar the way you have.It should of been central.You will be able to compensate in the setup.You will need to go out on a calm clear day when you can 'see' specific targets.Look at the radar and you will see the target isn't where you are expecting it to be.You are going to need to play around with the offset and bearing line to compensate,basically to bring the target you are steering at where it needs to be on the screen.It wont be too bad over say 1/4 or 1/2 a mile but over 3 miles or so it will start to be way out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ermmm....Your not gonna like what Im gonna say but your bearing line is gonna be miles out fitting the radar the way you have.It should of been central.You will be able to compensate in the setup.You will need to go out on a calm clear day when you can 'see' specific targets.Look at the radar and you will see the target isn't where you are expecting it to be.You are going to need to play around with the offset and bearing line to compensate,basically to bring the target you are steering at where it needs to be on the screen.It wont be too bad over say 1/4 or 1/2 a mile but over 3 miles or so it will start to be way out.
Thanks for that Ron, thought it might be off a bit :dry: but I do take your point seriously. Page 8-17 in the manual explains it, basicaly as you say calm day, the book says; 1.5-2 miles, hand compass etc. Be part of the (steep) learning curve getting to know how it works. Go out and use the Towers, Plater post, easy to view and fixed. Could go down the Stour, nice and calm, Holbrook post might be OK, not sure of the quality of its signal? but an ebb tide at anchore I can put my nose on it! Be able to have a rod out as well, bass in the area I would anchor. I have no idea how it was set up on the previous boat so its got to be re set any way.

Impresed with the pesentation on the screen thought, despit being low in the marina, I could still see Felixstowe docks, well the cranes, it seemed to almost ignore all the masts and things close by in the marina, also suprised at the sweep time, it seemed quick?

ET

PS, a thought, what hapens on a yacht as it heels over with the dome fixed half way up the mast way of plum centre? I've seen the gimble post put at the rear and to one side of yachts? But a heeling yacht, thats way off, is there a compromise, do they just live with it or am I missing a fundemental?

15,082 Posts
Thanks for that Ron, thought it might be off a bit :dry: but I do take your point seriously. Page 8-17 in the manual explains it, basicaly as you say calm day, the book says; 1.5-2 miles, hand compass etc. Be part of the (steep) learning curve getting to know how it works. Go out and use the Towers, Plater post, easy to view and fixed. Could go down the Stour, nice and calm, Holbrook post might be OK, not sure of the quality of its signal? but an ebb tide at anchore I can put my nose on it! Be able to have a rod out as well, bass in the area I would anchor. I have no idea how it was set up on the previous boat so its got to be re set any way.

Impresed with the pesentation on the screen thought, despit being low in the marina, I could still see Felixstowe docks, well the cranes, it seemed to almost ignore all the masts and things close by in the marina, also suprised at the sweep time, it seemed quick?

ET

PS, a thought, what hapens on a yacht as it heels over with the dome fixed half way up the mast way of plum centre? I've seen the gimble post put at the rear and to one side of yachts? But a heeling yacht, thats way off, is there a compromise, do they just live with it or am I missing a fundemental?
Not sure how a yacht gets on!
There will be settings for Harbour,Sea and another I cannot remember on there too!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I reckon you will be fine ET's, as I said earlier, run it all the time, and see how it takes you to a fixed object, after all we are using it to avoid others/things, so if the target is inside your inner ring at 1/4 mile range you will hit it, if you do nothing about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reckon you will be fine ET's, as I said earlier, run it all the time, and see how it takes you to a fixed object, after all we are using it to avoid others/things, so if the target is inside your inner ring at 1/4 mile range you will hit it, if you do nothing about it.
Thanks for the encouragment Aquabell. As I say I have found the section in the manual that deals with getting the bearing right, and I will take Rons advise and check it out. However, the yacht thing seems funny to me, a heeling yacht will put the dome way of center in all planes and they cope? Any one know the answer to this one. And comercial ships, they have radar arays all over the place, although there is sophistication of a diferant order there I suspect?

ET's OPO

15,082 Posts
Thanks for the encouragment Aquabell. As I say I have found the section in the manual that deals with getting the bearing right, and I will take Rons advise and check it out. However, the yacht thing seems funny to me, a heeling yacht will put the dome way of center in all planes and they cope? Any one know the answer to this one. And comercial ships, they have radar arays all over the place, although there is sophistication of a diferant order there I suspect?

ET's OPO
I never said you couldnt have it off centre,you can stick it where you like but you will have to compensate for it in the setup.
It is not a lot of good looking at the screen in thick fog thinking you are going to miss a target by 15Dec on your port side when really you are about to run it down because you havent compensated the offset dome?
If you havent had too much dealings with Radar it really is worth doing the RYA one day course.They also do a very worthwhile little booklet that explains things in Black and white and is easy to understand.
When I was at sea you had a Radar Officer...That was all he did...Radar!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
My lad was a radar operator on "ARK ROYAL" they had their gear offset, otherwise the flyboys would have got tangled up in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never said you couldnt have it off centre,you can stick it where you like but you will have to compensate for it in the setup.
It is not a lot of good looking at the screen in thick fog thinking you are going to miss a target by 15Dec on your port side when really you are about to run it down because you havent compensated the offset dome?
If you havent had too much dealings with Radar it really is worth doing the RYA one day course.They also do a very worthwhile little booklet that explains things in Black and white and is easy to understand.
When I was at sea you had a Radar Officer...That was all he did...Radar!
Ron, I'm not having a go at you mate, I very much appreciate the coments, as I'm sure, do all, to who you offer help. Made me look it up in the manual, mark the page ready for the adjustments.

I am planing a trip to the Southampton boat show, have put the RYA radar booklet on my list, along with an RNLI 2009 calender and a rumage through their Sea Shantie CD's. Expensive way to buy calenders and CDs, but its the suport. I will also ask the question of the RYA, 'how do yachties cope with the off center line radar set up', is there an easy solution, rule of thumb . . . :huh:

By the way, its pointless me going on a course, because of dyslexia, I have to do things like this my way, in my time, can take me so long to get to grips. Hense a RYA booklet and the radar in front of me + plus the manual, a little help from the forum, I will get there, the penny drops in the end.

Reminds me of 1987 when I took my VHF licence, one day course, half a dozen of us, all friends, thank goodness, and the examiner was a star. I came out at 5.30pm, driping wet with sweat, sheaking uncontrolably, but had my VHF licence, neaver again??

How I'm going to get my digital update, I dont know?

ET's OPO

15,082 Posts
Ron, I'm not having a go at you mate, I very much appreciate the coments, as I'm sure, do all, to who you offer help. Made me look it up in the manual, mark the page ready for the adjustments.

I am planing a trip to the Southampton boat show, have put the RYA radar booklet on my list, along with an RNLI 2009 calender and a rumage through their Sea Shantie CD's. Expensive way to buy calenders and CDs, but its the suport. I will also ask the question of the RYA, 'how do yachties cope with the off center line radar set up', is there an easy solution, rule of thumb . . . :huh:

By the way, its pointless me going on a course, because of dyslexia, I have to do things like this my way, in my time, can take me so long to get to grips. Hense a RYA booklet and the radar in front of me + plus the manual, a little help from the forum, I will get there, the penny drops in the end.

Reminds me of 1987 when I took my VHF licence, one day course, half a dozen of us, all friends, thank goodness, and the examiner was a star. I came out at 5.30pm, driping wet with sweat, sheaking uncontrolably, but had my VHF licence, neaver again??

How I'm going to get my digital update, I dont know?

ET's OPO
No apoligies needed mate,I never for one minute thought you was having a go at me.
If you have a problem setting it all up,give me a shout and if im not busy I will pop over and take a look.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No apoligies needed mate,I never for one minute thought you was having a go at me.
If you have a problem setting it all up,give me a shout and if im not busy I will pop over and take a look.
Very kind offer Ron, thank you, I may just take you up on that, we will see how things shape up? You might get to sample a cupa and hot pie, Little Gem Style :thumbs:

ET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts