World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been looking into getting a rod for lrf because I've been told to stop borrowing my lads 6ft spinning rod.
After reading reviews and people's opinions I've decided on the shakespeare agility to get me set up with an affordable rod to start with, and to keep er indoors happy.
I don't really intend to go for the smaller stuff dragonets, blennys etc, although I'm sure at some point they will be on the cards for a giggle and to keep me amused, but I will mainly be after wrasse, pollock, bass, flounder etc.

The question I have is:
Would the lighter rod 6 9" 0.5 - 7g not be man enough and possibly end up being a regret compared to the 7' 5-15g?
I would like to get as much as much sport as possible whilst staying on the safer side of not losing fish. As I'm quite green when it comes to lrf I thought it would be best to ask you chaps about it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,392 Posts
Hi all, I've been looking into getting a rod for lrf because I've been told to stop borrowing my lads 6ft spinning rod.
After reading reviews and people's opinions I've decided on the shakespeare agility to get me set up with an affordable rod to start with, and to keep er indoors happy.
I don't really intend to go for the smaller stuff dragonets, blennys etc, although I'm sure at some point they will be on the cards for a giggle and to keep me amused, but I will mainly be after wrasse, pollock, bass, flounder etc.

The question I have is:
Would the lighter rod 6 9" 0.5 - 7g not be man enough and possibly end up being a regret compared to the 7' 5-15g?
I would like to get as much as much sport as possible whilst staying on the safer side of not losing fish. As I'm quite green when it comes to lrf I thought it would be best to ask you chaps about it.

Thanks in advance.
5-15 wouldn’t be considered as an Lrf Rod however reading your post this would probably be the ideal rod for you if you don’t really want to target the smaller species. I can’t really speak for the Shakespeare Rods but my Lrf Rods have caught double figure pollock with ease as long as you don’t high stick the rod or try pulling the fish out of the water. The first rod you mentioned would be Lrf but second rod would be better classed as Hrf

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I have the lighter one. With the correct smooth drag on a decent reel and braid / leader upto around 4lb you'll be surprised what you can achieve. If you're after wrasse I would think it'll be fun but not ideal. The heavier rod will be better suited but depending on the size of wrasse maybe still undergunned.
For the price I would say start with the lighter one. It can achieve more than you think and you should be able to pass it on without too much depreciation if its not for you.

Reactions: mikeyfelley

·
Premium Member
17,392 Posts
Decisions, decisions...
Thanks for advice gents!
I think you really need to decide what type of fishing you prefer whether it be Lrf or Hrf
Either rod should be ok for you but as I say earlier my preferred option would be the heavier one only because you have stated yourself you won’t go for the minis at the moment

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have the lighter rod and it is ok apart from I snapped the tip at the first ring. It is good with small pollack of 6-8" but I found it hard to keep some on the hook, probably my fault.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

The question I have is:

Thanks in advance.
Go for the Penn Rampage LRF twin tip it is a brilliant rod with two end pieces that allow you to fish either very light or a bit heavier. You will not regret it.

Cheers
Jamie

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
If you're after bass, pollock etc then buy a bass lure rod as well as a lrf rod. Don't knock the little fellas either or you're missing half the fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No room for another lure rod I'm afraid, unless it has a super sensitive tip that defines it as "different" from the others according to the boss :)

·
Premium Member
17,392 Posts
No room for another lure rod I'm afraid, unless it has a super sensitive tip that defines it as "different" from the others according to the boss :)
Mate I have to say If your looking for a super sensitive tip then all rods mentioned are not for you. A proper lure rod or Lrf rod will have this depending on what you buy but a rod that goes from Lrf to Hrf will not

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Look at AJI rods, they have a bit more power than your normal LRF rods due to a stiffer lower section with casting weights to around 0.8g -10g. Sensitive still acceptable in the LRF sense but with a little bit more, or look at this style of rod in solid tip.
http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/7258?lang=en
What you seem to be looking for is something which the lower end rods don't offer where as spending more you can get a rod which will cover 1/2 and 1/2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They look pretty impressive bits of kit for sure. In an ideal world I don't want spend too much initially.

But once again thanks for the help everyone :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts