World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any advice on this area of Corfu? I've read the search results and feel a bit like leaving the rod at home! Any good news Gents? Cheers, Tony O-P.

T

·
0 Posts
Nip to your local tackle shop.
Buy a cheap canal fishing "Bomb Rod" or travel "Match Rod" and tiny fixed spool loaded with 4lb max.
Invest in a few split shot, floats etc and have fun catching the tiny little fish that swarm around the area. Try sweetcorn as bait or little titchy bits of prawn on size 16's.

Tom

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
very dissapointing i'm afraid.
dont let it stop you though, fished every day for a fortnight, didn't even see a fish.
there must be areas at the right time of year.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom, feeling a bit better with your reply, towards the end of the week I'll go and stock up on small hooks. I think I've got passable tackle to fit the rest of your advice.

I searched Rhodes supermarkets last year for small bags of prawns or squid but no joy!!! Contrary to what is said. Sweetcorn (or bread and tuna mix) it shall be. Thanks Tony O-P.

T

·
0 Posts
There are some localised spots in the Med which can produce good Shark or Tuna sport, but the reality is that it is not a location for big fish angling.
The tourist boats may try and have you believe otherwise, but except for the approaches to the Straits of Gibraltar I wouldn't bother booking.

Have fun with the teeny weeny brigade. Treat it as holiday fishing rather than serious stuff and you'll enjoy yourself.

Tom

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) I don't know if it's near Ipsos, where i stayed last year but anyway i found snorkling to be great fun. Just off the sand beach there are clumps of weed.
I regulary saw shoals of medium sized mullet feeding around them.
Swimming from the rock areas was also interesting with loads of different types of fish. I never saw any big fish but it was still very interesting.
One day i hired a boat to do as a day out.
Turned out to be one of the highlights of the holiday. There are lots of quiet coves all the way up the island that have loads of fish swimming about in them. I even came across a shoal of sardines jumping out of the water. There must have been thousands of them.:)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whilst on Spetsis, (fantastic island,don't tell anyone).

Had trouble photographing the fishes with the use once underwater camera from Boots due to the bread floating, so...

saved the crust from the pizza, found a length of string and a rock, tie bread to one end and rock to other sink it all and there you are, bread at a depth so you can snap away, Hans and Lottie Hass eat your heart out.

Anyone know where on the webb I can find pictures of the small fish I'm likely to encounter in Greece, (don't mean sardines halfway down the menu on the left hand side)! Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from Aghios Stefanos (N.W. Corfu),

fished a few times during the heat of the day and not one nibble, knock or catch! Tried as the Sun and into the bewitching hour and :clap2:BINGO, a sting ray! (The kind that zapped Steve Erwin) so I shuffled it carefully into a plastic bag and took it to the restaurant who gave me the sardines to use as bait.

I had tried luncheon meat as bait but it kept flying off the hook when casting, I tried bread mashed with tuna fish – same problem/outcome. Went back the following evening and ate my catch in a tomato sauce with lovely waxy boiled spuds, they called the fish “Pastanakka” (no relation to Boris)!.

If anyone is thinking of going there, it is a very quiet resort, as yet very lightly touched by commersialism. We are thinking of dumping a Canal holiday in September and going out there again, so you know it must be good.

I fished from the old harbour to the left of the beach as you look out to sea, I had tried on the breakwater of the new harbour but no joy. I’d paid a deposit for a small ‘Boston Whaler’ to get out to sea but 'they' thought the sea was too rough…And there’s me who has been sent aloft on a square rigger bombing up the Solent at 10 knotts to furl sails. Cheers Tony O-P.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Take a tin of shrimps or prawns and when opened cover them with cooking salt to keep them. Treat sardines and squid the same way - it toughens them up so they stay on the hook better. Flour and water makes a good paste which stays on. See my thred on Fishing in Cyprus. Much will apply to Corfu!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts