World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stayed local today, a rest from houndchasing and I was kinda missing all that sticky mud. Fished near to Redwick, and after an eel a cast I managed to catch a nice 1.5lb Dover Sole. First of the year and right tasty she was :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well done mate,that's good news, been waiting to hear the sole were showing. Mate of mine fished redwick last friday he caught one codling and a schoolie both returned but it was the sole he was after. I'm gonna have to give it a go soon.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Well done mate,

Wot would be the best tactics, times and baits etc for the sole?

Is there a particular hotspot in Redwick?

My 1st visit up there was earlier this year for the codling and I been a few times since, always fished by the water outfall....would this be any good?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't say I know of any hot spots but my spot is a reatively safe spot to fish. Go through the farm gate opposite the rose and crown pub (I think thats the name) the road get's rough as hell go slow, when you get to the end there's a gate be sure to close it after you or the farmer is gonna get miffed his cow's are wandering.Go right about 1/2 mile, on about the 3 bend( you'll have to go up on the sea wall to check your in the right spot) There's a water outlet with concrete steps down most of the way, clamber over a few rocks, and your on the ledges, this area is relatively solid peat ledges tho mud to the knees if you don't look where your going. ( ALWAYS PROCEED WITH CAUTION, AND DON'T GO ALONE IF POSSIBLE OR AT LEAST UNTIL YOU KNOW THE AREA). Fish big tides off the wall and medium to small at low water. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow and I'll post on return.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
That's the same spot we've been fishing this winter. Safe enough as long as your careful, and had loads of codling there through the winter

1st time we went we were unsure of the bottom ledge so didn't go on it but our next trip there was a guy there fishing and we realised it was solid peat and not mud...felt a little stupid, but better to be careful in a new area I suppose

Let us know how you get on and then maybe me and valley boyo will give it a try

Aint caught a sole but would like to add one to my list

Cheers mate :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue Yonders advice is same as mine. There are no real hot spots, only easier to fish spots. As good as any is100 yds right at the end of the lane by the first salmon stakes ( lower ledges when the tide pushes back). Use small hooks, size 4 kamasan aberdeen long shanks I recommend. I only fish there on low tides (11m and under), preferring elsewhere on high tides

1 - 6 of 6 Posts