World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing buddy is of to Aitutaki ( Cook Islands ) for some Bonefishing and maybe a shot at some Trevelly not sure what type or size there are there? Could somebody help please.
He has a Shimano Stradic 6000fi which take 240yd of 50lb Powerpro Braid will this be suitable or would he be better off using 300yds 40lb.

·
Registered
21,556 Posts
My fishing buddy is of to Aitutaki ( Cook Islands ) for some Bonefishing and maybe a shot at some Trevelly not sure what type or size there are there? Could somebody help please.
He has a Shimano Stradic 6000fi which take 240yd of 50lb Powerpro Braid will this be suitable or would he be better off using 300yds 40lb.
:fishing1: I can't see anyone putting much more than 10lb of pressure on a fish so the 40lb would be better as GT's run long and hard. :fishing1:

·
Registered
898 Posts
:fishing1: I can't see anyone putting much more than 10lb of pressure on a fish so the 40lb would be better as GT's run long and hard. :fishing1:
Norm,
Agree with you the 40lb would be better with the more line available, but....
You're gonna have to put a hell of a lot more pressure than 10lbs on the Guinea Bissau cobia, jacks, leerfish and cuberas to stop them getting back into the Washing Machine, or any of the wrecks, especially the Chimenees one!!!
Don't give yourself a hernia though!
All the best,

·
Registered
21,556 Posts
Norm,
Agree with you the 40lb would be better with the more line available, but....
You're gonna have to put a hell of a lot more pressure than 10lbs on the Guinea Bissau cobia, jacks, leerfish and cuberas to stop them getting back into the Washing Machine, or any of the wrecks, especially the Chimenees one!!!
Don't give yourself a hernia though!
All the best,
:fishing1: Thanks for the correction, it was a typo, for lbs read kgs.
Looks like the Braid kidney harness will get some action then. :fishing1:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
That'll be fine for smaller trevallies. Trevally fishing doesn't have to be all about hulking GTs and heavy tackle. There are a lot of other different species including small GTs, bluefin trevally, golden trevally and a lot of other kinds that are great fun on lighter rods, tasty - and normally a heck of a lot easier to find too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you are going to tangle with GTs, don't bother with anything lighter than 50lb. If you play them too hard & too long you will have a job releasing them. Don't bother keeping them for tea (small ones < 5kg maybe).

Even a big golden will strip 200m of 50lb in the first 2 runs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts