World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have noticed a lot of Akios F15 for sale recently. Are they really that bad that people are selling them? I am looking for a durable reel I can use on mixed and clean ground with the occational option of a rough ground but i dont want 2 reels (e.g. slosh and 7ht mag). I was thinking about the F15 as it casts well distance wise and and is capable to be used in rough ground. The Penn 2 Fathom Casting Special is an option here too. I am soooooo confused, advice please people :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a Slosh get a 2nd spool,fill 1 with 15lb the other with 30 or 40lb.sorted.:thumbsup:.Much cheaper option.
Problem is Slosh are not distance reels, the water i fish i need distance, and slosh are not distance reels

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fathom cs casts further than a slosh sha30 from my experience. I would imagine the 20 casts further but then you run into problems fishing rough due to line capacity. Both good reals though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Haven't had any experience of the Akios. But the fact you see 'lots' up for sale doesn't necessarily mean its a bad reel and everyone is selling them.
Say 5% of reels sold end up on the second hand market. 1000 reels sold 50 end up for sale, looks a lot. 100 reels sold, 5 end up for sale, doesn't look like a lot. Guess it depends on how many were sold through retail.
Just my 2 pence worth.

If you can get to a tackle shop and have a look at one, then make your own mind up.
Another reel to consider us the fathom 2 SD 15. Same size spool as the penn mag (newer models) but better built, and a good all rounder.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Having got both the Casting specials and the Akios Nitrons (also Slosh's) would say in terms of gaining distance, although very little in it between the Penn CS and Nitron, the Nitron is the better reel for that, where the Penn has the advantage is it's a smoother retrieve and can hold a bit more line, there's also the knob position issue on the Penn, but it's easily remedied, just move your hand !! never been an issue for me !!
The advantage of having Slosh's is you can buy a pair for the price of one Nitron/Penn (prob line/leader too) so no changing spools, would not recommend that on a beach/rocks anyway, distance isn't quite as good as the other two with plain leads, but when you have bait on, wind in your face etc all things are equal, also have a very positive smooth retrieve.
These are the main points between my reels as I see it, the choice is yours !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts