World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good strong reel and between the Shimano torium 14,saltist 20 then maybe the Penn which I use more for mixed ground can't see a better reel.

The is of course these new Akios reels and the review by Alan yates to me was the 6500 size which he was beachcasting with.
The parts used look solid enough and prices now are pretty good.

Not sure the Abu 7000 has the guts and don't know much about these new Akios reels that have had a good write up in sea dangler
Before anyone says the slosh's I just can't get to grips with the high spool sitting above the gearbox so really just looking at the above reels unless anyone has any other reels they can think that'll last a good few years!!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Looking for a good strong reel and between the Shimano torium 14,saltist 20 then maybe the Penn which I use more for mixed ground can't see a better reel.

The is of course these new Akios reels and the review by Alan yates to me was the 6500 size which he was beachcasting with.
The parts used look solid enough and prices now are pretty good.

Not sure the Abu 7000 has the guts and don't know much about these new Akios reels that have had a good write up in sea dangler
Before anyone says the slosh's I just can't get to grips with the high spool sitting above the gearbox so really just looking at the above reels unless anyone has any other reels they can think that'll last a good few years!!!
i know one or two of the tournament boys have been trying them, both for casting (250+m achieved) and for fishing.
try a thread on the casting section and you should get a reply. they may not see this thread on this section.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Have a look for a second hand speedmaster2 in good condition. Get a cfs model as these have the centrifugal brakes in and if you find it's still a bit fast you could always buy a mag kit for it.

C

·
0 Posts
Have a look for a second hand speedmaster2 in good condition. Get a cfs model as these have the centrifugal brakes in and if you find it's still a bit fast you could always buy a mag kit for it.
They sit up high and if you read his post he can't cope with that. I was going to suggest an Avet, but they sit as high as the Shimanos.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
The Saltist is a good bet, built like a tank and low enough for me on the rod to cope with and I have the hands of a pixy! Bloody good casting reel with a mag on too (never tried one without) ... tested one out for a customer and I was really surprised how well they go.

C

·
0 Posts
The Saltist is a good bet, built like a tank and low enough for me on the rod to cope with and I have the hands of a pixy! Bloody good casting reel with a mag on too (never tried one without) ... tested one out for a customer and I was really surprised how well they go.

Vic was using one of these on the boat the other week and it looks a quality bit of kit.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the thing its as a rough ground reel and it would be the larger 7000 size I'd go for.Not really for out and out casting plus the retrieve is about 4.3 I think....
They do a mag ct in the aqios.....
the saltist look great.Mates got a couple and they do look the job.
No one ever bothered with the Shimano?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
he could get a rod with a slimmer dia butt if not already got one.or put the reel on a rienforced reducer.this may solve the higher sitting reel prob just a thought.

T

·
0 Posts
Saltists are great reels for the rough stuff in either the 20H or 30H, sits low on the rod and casts well, they mark up a bit easily though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
maybe try a penn 525 mag xtra
good caster with a retrieve of 6,1
there will be plenty of bargains as the new penns are coming out

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'd stick with the tried and tested rough ground models, the saltist, shimano and penn will all do an excellent job and provide you years of trouble free fishing if looked after, I uses sloshes myslef and have my eye on a Saltist for the winter coming in after having a cast with a friends, they really do cast well out the box so can only imagine they will fly with a mag conversion. The aquios looks the business and am sure is a good reel but untill they have been around a few years and abused over rough ground no-one will know if they are built to last! Anyway I can't ever remember reading a bad review in sea angler! every new tackle item they review seems to come out shining

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi Nick,

How you doing?

I have 2 Saltist 20s and they sit as low on the rod as a 6500, the gearbox is positioned farther forward than a slosh so should not get in the way.

Excellent reels strong as an ox, and cast like a 6500 "Full Metal Jacket" unlike the Torium which has plastic end plates (Like a Slosh) plus the availability and price is a lot higher for the Toriums.

Malc at ABC waited 6 months for the Toriums to arrive then promptly sent them all back because Shimano wanted to charge the latest price.

He does the Saltist for around £120, bargain, cheapest in the country.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Anyone know why Rok-Max no longer feature the Saltist LD in their product range?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Probably because they're shi t
I've got to admit that I was tempted at first but I reckon I'd go for the Avet instead

1 - 16 of 16 Posts