World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im just getting into casting the last few months and really got the bug :thumbs: i would like some advise and help please. i been casting a standard 7ht mag and getting 215 220 meters without any wind,would a akios shuttle help my distance? also guys how do you balance a spool? and does this make a difference? dont want to sound like a numpty :uhuh: just want some advice of you guys,
manny thanks

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've a Akios Tourno 666mm3 - similar to the Shuttle but uses a mono mag rather than a multi-mag set-up (slightly more adjustment) you might you might wish to look at this as an option.

The bigger sinkers arent my forte but thoiught you might need to keep your options open.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
All of the following are suitable for casting the 175g/0.35mm - Akios 666; ABU 6600w; ABU 6500 & 7ht.

The Standard 7ht and ABU6500 sit higher off the rod, where as the ABU6600w and the Akios 666 series sit lower (depending upon line level and hump) which if you have small hands and a larger diameter rod butt needs to be considered.

The Akios 666 has a larger spool capacity than the ABU6600w - not that I'd ever use it !!

A number of casters use a regular 7ht (Black or Red) that has been fitted with a mono-mag to good effect.

After market cages for the ABU and Daiwa reels are available (QTC or Zeeta Tuning) that provide a lower profile to the reel.

Lots of options out there.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Does this really work?
Yes ... basically what you are doing is what Daiwa have done to the 7HT Mag .... the original spindle ran through the pinion into that red plastic bush .... seperating that from the spool means it will be much more free running. You still need the other end fixed into the red bush though to help support the pinion gear.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Once the spindle is cut you canot use the reel for fishing.
You can if you do it right - actually if you look at the process you are just emulating what Daiwa have done with the 7HT Mag .... cut short spindle sitting in a bearing and a seperate pinion shaft running between end cap and end of spindle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Blakdog, how would you go about converting one of these? A couple of guys here in Holland use the 7hts for tournament casting. And I have to of these reels doing little of nothing so would like to try these next season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts