World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone help.

I'm having real trouble tieing my shockleader to mainline.

I'm using the Albright Knot, and it works. 5% of the time. It takes me lots of trys for it to (sinch), together correctly. It's the sinch part where it always goes wrong. I've tried and tried and can't see what part of the knot is causing the problem.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm seriously wasting yards of line every time I need to tie it.

Thanks in advance all.

Dan

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Please can someone help.

I'm using the Albright Knot, and it works. 5% of the time. It takes me lots of trys for it to (sinch), together correctly. It's the sinch part where it always goes wrong. I've tried and tried and can't see what part of the knot is causing the problem.

Thanks in advance all.

Dan
Have a look on Youtube as the Albright is one of the easiest knots to tie, Are you using to many turns ? . I do 3 down and 3 up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a look on Youtube as the Albright is one of the easiest knots to tie, Are you using to many turns ? . I do 3 down and 3 up.
I've looked at all the videos about 20 times lol. After what you've said, I might be using too many turns. I'm using 6-7 both ways.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the look of the improved Albright, but generally just do a 10 turn standard one. Handling knots (fishing, or otherwise) is a knack, particularly when it comes to tightening down and not having the knot capsize. (I've much more experience as a knot-tier than as a time-served angler, BTW.)

I think the biggest issues with many line knots, Albright included, are:
* Not enough lube.
* Just pulling the two ends apart to tighten the knot and hoping they'll make something.
*Not trapping turns or other springy parts so they ping out of position/over the hook eye etc.

The Albright running end should exit the bight (loop in leader) back the way it came for my money. Same as a decent Uni knot. The Albright is like a reef knot with a load of back turns on the thinner line, so avoid a 'granny' where the end exits the opposite side and it should sit well. When tightening, I just hold the leader bight still, and work the mainline into a clump around it by pulling both ends of the mainline, without pulling too tight. I use thumb and forefinger to squeeze the turns towards the middle of the knot, one end then the other but mainly focused on pulling the coils back towards the point of the bight. Use a lot of bight on the leader to stop the turns pinging off the end.
When the turns are sitting pretty well and the knot is nearing full tightness, I pull the mainline only (not the tag) away from the bight and it does the final tighten at the end of the bight leaving a neat knot. Don't hurry to go nuts with how close you nip off the tags until you are sure there is no more movement to be had.

HTH

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Please can someone help.

Thanks in advance all.

Dan
The Improved Albright knot might be a bit big using mono, but it's great for joining Braid to mono and I've been using it for years and I've not had one fail

·
Registered
531 Posts
me too nether had trouble tying this knot...
you have too train some different knots and find the one who suits you : have a look on youtub

·
Registered
121 Posts
I made my own tensile tester for about £30 with ebay bits to test lines and knots, for both sea and fresh.

My favoured 18lb 0.40mm Daiwa Tournament Monofil maxed at 21lb with a '6 down-6 up' Mahin knot. Similar to an Albright, but easier to tie. If I hit a snag, the hooks tend to bend open or even break before the knot fails.

Clear lines; Drennan (ESP) Crystal and Shimano Exage/Catana at 15lb 0.35mm hit 19lb with a Palomar to the hook/swivel.

As WestonMudSlinger says........plenty of spit.

I was surprised how 'weak' lines are with some knots. Avoid Double Uni and Blood knots on nylon.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was surprised how 'weak' lines are with some knots. Avoid Double Uni and Blood knots on nylon.
I can imagine how much weaker those kinds of loop to loop knots can be in contrast to those knots like the Albright etc. where the loads are more evenly spread throughout the friction of the knot.

Some of this is likely to be related to a concept in lifting and slinging that is called the D/d ratio, something that is also relevant to a recent discussion about pulley bead vs. standard swivel. The tighter the radius something is bent around, the more concentrated the forces are, and the weaker it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can imagine how much weaker those kinds of loop to loop knots can be in contrast to those knots like the Albright etc. where the loads are more evenly spread throughout the friction of the knot.

Some of this is likely to be related to a concept in lifting and slinging that is called the D/d ratio, something that is also relevant to a recent discussion about pulley bead vs. standard swivel. The tighter the radius something is bent around, the more concentrated the forces are, and the weaker it is.
Strangely enough, I underwent NPORS Slinger/Signaller training last week. I use a small hoist at work but have to do the full course, which is way above the level for my use. Having seen 15lb lines break at 10lb, really changed my knot selection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts