World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought some Daiwa Tournament 8 braid, 20Ib.

I've used both the Improved Albright (A Better Connection (braid to mono)-Improved Albright Knot - YouTube)
and the Double Uni (https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/) when bait fishing off the rocks for leader to mainline connection.

However, when lure fishing with braid which is it to be?

I prefer the Double Uni (with 5 wraps on the mono and ten wraps on the braid).

So who swears by the Double Uni? And who fiddles around with the Albright?

Anyone else used the Daiwa 8 strand?

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,526 Posts
Wouldn't touch the Daiwa.

Double uni is great when the two materials are of a similar kind of diameter and the Albright when the leader is much thicker than the main....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Red Phillips knot for me nice and slim, strong, small and can tie it in the dark. It was the striper guys that recommended it too me so comes from good pedigree

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Uni to uni. Nice neat barrel over each line.
3-4 turns of leader and 7-8 turns of braid.
Simple, easy and doesn't appear to clinch the line.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,526 Posts
Just on reputation. ...the 20lbs stuff is not liked....
Not used it myself but I have seen it and have heard and read many reports of people just not liking it.
That has made me stick with what I know.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no, I've not gone and bought the 'Red Ice' of braid have I?

The problem with rumours about sh/£e lines is that they start to stick. With the dreaded Red Ice I had first hand experience of its ability to snap.

Henry G recommends the daiwa 8 braid.

Anyone else got good or bad experience with this braid?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I tried the 20 lb a couple of years back.after losing a couple of lure on the cast I binned it.seemed to break way short of 20lb.I think hg reviewed the 30lb?

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Oh no, I've not gone and bought the 'Red Ice' of braid have I?

Brilliant! :laugh:

With the dreaded Red Ice I had first hand experience of its ability to snap.

I had a similar experience with "Red Ice" but some people swear by it, each too their own I suppose :g:.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I tried the 20lb daiwa when it 1st came out cos it was cheap (for an 8 strand). Seemed to break very easily so I tested it. It broke at 11lb, knotless. Then I tried the 30lb, it broke at 16lb.

I use the albright knot with doubled over braid and 12 turns. Seems ok with 20lb varivas avani sea bass max power and 20lb amnesia as a leader.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Have got tournament accudepth on one of my wrecking reels the line is ok but the figures they quote for it's breaking strain are way over the top, I do wonder if it's overly susceptible to wear. I wouldn't use anything under 30lb for lure fishing. There are much better lines out there at a cheaper price. Suffix 832 is a good, readily available cheap braid.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tried this one good knot strength wise but nothing overly special about it. I challenge anyone to tie that in the dark(does Henry never fish at night?) it's hard enough to get it right sat at home.
this is a simple way of tying the same knot.can be tied in under a minute in the dark,once you get the hang of it.Simple way of tying FG knot - YouTube
nothing special? when tied properly this knot is ultra slim and will pass through any tip ring.great for tying light long leaders in clear water and heavier and longer in the rough.its strength is also pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Henry G recommends the daiwa 8 braid.

Anyone else got goid or bad experience with this braid?
yes, we have tried it in 20, 30 and 50.

It looks nice, casts well but, in ALL tests, breaks at way way under stated test. In fact, some US tests had the 50 breaking at less than 23lb across a range of knots. I would concur that the 20 breaks very easily.

I've never suffered personally with wind knotting and not with that line either. But, out of the 4 of us using this brand at the time, I was the only one who didn't rip it off within a fortnight.

Others views will differ of course and it's easy to follow blindly. If you have it, try it and see.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red Phillips knot for me nice and slim, strong, small and can tie it in the dark. It was the striper guys that recommended it too me so comes from good pedigree
Just looking at the Red Phillips on You Tube, quite impressed with it. Thanks for that. How many wraps if the braid do you reckon?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Normally use uni to uni but might give that red philips a try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts