World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few slow sessions at pagham I decided to goto one of my usual marks at aldwick to see if I could find one of those elusive cod.

I was also going to target flatties as a few decent sole have been caught lately.
Baits were rag, squid, lug and frozen black. I had the flatty rod in the water by 8pm and within a minute had a bite, which got me a small pout. This nonsense carried on for the next hour and a half, then it went dead. I ended up with 4 pout and a small thornie.
having had enough of that, I packed up my small rod so I could focus on my big bait rod. I was using a clipped down pennel rig which I made myself and had a whole squid with frozen black wrapped round it for cod.

Ht came along and I was losing hope of catching a Mr c.o.d when my rod started to gentally pull down and right, I thought weed doesn't do that and picked up my rod. The pulling got harder and then the line slacked, so I started reeling in like a man possessed,lol. After a bit of an anticlimactic scrap I pulled in my first cod(ling) which I was well chuffed about. However I did notice a problem with it straightaway as it was bleeding near it's tail, on closer inspection it was clear that something had taken a bite out of it, so I unhooked it, measured it (63cm) and put it back in the sea.,it didn't want to go at first but did eventually slink off. Weight wise I would guess it was around 5lb.
I packed up after that as I had work in the morning.
I'll post some pics later, as I'm on mobile net atm and can't figure out how to add them lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
congrats mate! thats quite an impressive species list you've built up this year despite it being a $hite year, keep up the good work, wish I'd of fished last night now:g:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's a real result, Dean! There are quite a few folks around who haven't caught a codling for years - me included. Just goes to show that if you keep turning out and doing the right things for long enough, a good one has to come your way.

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Well done Dean :clap2::clap2::clap2: just a shame it had that wound on it, I'm still puzzled by it as it looks a bit vicious for a Cuttle but someone told me today there are some very big Squid out there atm so maybe it was one of those that gabbed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.