World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to Monte Gordo at the end of the month.
Stashing my telescopic beachcaster.:giveup:
Looking for pointers as to what the shore and boat fishing is like and whats available:) :)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi
There have been a number of previous threads on the Algarve in this forum. The best way to find them all though is to use the SEARCH THIS FORUM facility in the screen's heading - highlighted in Dark Blue. Click on SEARCH and type in 'Algarve' - the facility will check for the word 'Algarve' in either thread titles or post content.

Here though are the urls of just a few:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2412&highlight=Algarve

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6279&highlight=Algarve

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818&highlight=Algarve.

I haven't personally fished off that end of the Algarve, perhaps others could comment?

From the rocks you'd get the Bream species and Mullet in the harbours. And light tackle trolling with Rapalas, inshore you're likely to encounter Bass and Bluefish and possibly Little Tunny. Offshore, at that time of year, you should find small Blue Sharks. The White Marlin tend to be encountered later in the year, August/September.

Best of Luck. And please report back on what you catch.
Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would echo Daves comments with the addition of Dentex and Pargo on the deepwater rock marks. We do sometimes have a run of skipjack in may, but depends on the weather and water temps.

If you fancy a beer and talk fishing when your over, I'm at the marina in Vila real de st antonio most days, feel free to give me a call, never too busy to talk fishing.

Bob

www.reefcatfishing.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her picked a resort called Monte Gordo on the Algarve which is quite close to the Spanish border and is a former fishing village.
Iv`e managed to sneak my telescopic spinning/lure fishing rod into the suitcase along with some little bits of tackle such as poppers and chug bug type lures.
What chances do I have of getting a bit of sport in those waters??

Hopefully I may manage a boat trip on one of the days :secret: depends on how good a mood I can get erindoors into :kissing: :clap3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Groveller : I saw a "meagre" (corvina locally), feeding on the mullet in the river at Vila Real yesterday, 3 minutes from Monte Gordo. I have caught them up to about 20kgs, and this one was a monster, I've never seen so many airborne mullet at the same time. This was happening about 30 metres away from my appartment.

Whatever type of fishing you do, you will need a licence, available from ATMs with your passport number. I think the cost is about 10 euros or so, may be a little cheaper.

Give me a call when you're over.

Cheers - Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i went fishing in the algarve in august of last year and had the time of my life!!
I was staying in villa mora but there was a marina about an hours walk up the coast so i took this walk only to find litterally hundreds of mullet! I couldnt help myself. i went to the fishing shop, bought myself a cheap rod and reel, grabbed some bread and i was away.
i took a walk slightly away from the busy marina and sat on the rocks with a beer in one hand and my rod in the other! I was prob there for about four hours and prob caught about 30 mullet. what a day!!
the next day i see a stall advertising charter boats for fishing. there was a choice between fishing the reef for small fish on light tackle or tuna + marlin fishing. I went for the tuna fishing. we went 15 miles off shore and caught tuna and dorado all day. the biggest fish being a tuna of about 30 lbs! the boat next to us caught a marlin weighing an impressive 50 lbs!
So yeah the fishing in the algarve is excellent! Will defo go again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Pedro - glad you like the site :)

My partner Tony was based in Littlehampton and used to do a lot of fishing around Shoreham, maybe you know him? My little boat was also at Littlehampton, I tell you this makes a change from fishing kingsmere or the ditches:)

Water temperature is just touching 20 degrees now, and a shoal of juvenile dourado have been spotted, so we're eagerly awaiting the arrival of the predators. Hopefully won't be too long.

Steve, sounds like you had a good day! It can be like that sometimes if we get the water temperature. We have had 12 plus marlin around the boat, triple hookups...wonderful. A 30lbs tuna is a very good fish, the blufin are enormous, but very very rare on rod and line. We do get quite a few skipjack tuna, but they tend to average 6-8lbs, the dourado are great fun on light tackle.

Do get in touch next time you fancy a trip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just back from Portimao - bit further along the coast. Marina had no fishing signs everywhere but found a very pleasant spot fishing a wall into the Arade river. Float fished bread and had over 50 mullet. No landing net so many came off lifting them - some up to 4/5 pounds. Saturday past had a real bonus in a 3lb black bream (on bread !) which I did land (just) before it straightened the size 10 hook. Great fishing and all fish returned unharmed. Well worth packing the telescopic.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Hi Bob - thanks for the post! Plan to get to the Algarve again some day and will look you up! Black bream off Kingsdown and College still appear but reports suggest that they are not in the numbers like pre 1970! I have yet to get my dinghydown there to find out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Pedro - the joys of Kinsdown in the spring :)

Had a short trip into Spanish waters yesterday, caught a couple of cuttlefish and some mackeral for livebait, then off to a rock mark about 6 miles off. Had a few small corba, then a nice Pargo (pagrus pagrus) of about 6 kilos. Very nice fighting fish with huge teeth. I'm still not sure if these are common sea bream or couches sea bream, the books seem to mix them up. Any way, if only Kingsdown could see a few more fish like these.

There is a lot of confusion over the names of some of these species, they seem to change according to the village you are visiting. But, the larger bream can reach 15 kilos or more, they go like a rocket, and are wonderful to eat.

Maybe see you in the land of sun and cheap beer one day:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave and lucky.

You got it Dave, they are called dolphin fish in the US and are also known as mahi mahi.

We have tried a days trolling recently running a mixed spread of lures for tuna and marlin. We didn't see any dorado (or marlin), and I would have thought it a bit too early. We did see some isolated flying fish, which I consider very rare in these waters, so I'm rather hoping it's going to be a good big game season.

The dourado are great fun to catch on light tackle a bit later in the season. I have seen literally hundreds in the air chasing the lures, very spectacular. We don't get too many big ones, but plenty up to about 3 feet long, especially later in the year when they have put some weight on. I understand that they are the fastest growing fish of them all, and have a very short lifespan. I do know that they taste lovely, and will try and take a lure as big as they are.

The dourada (gilt head) tend to come and go according to the seasons, we haven't caught many. But the locals fish the estuary for thenm in the spring.

Smoking drags - Bob

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
dorado here are also known locally as llampuga (yampoo-ga)!!
we get them from late summer up till about mid november. white redgills trolled fast, nearby to the fish farms............taste wooooonderfuuuuul!!:)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
And you didnt keep any to eat?

Where is this place - i am packed and ready to go! Although I havew not targeted mullet I have only had three in 40 years! Has to be worth a go!

And yes - will be in touch if I get out there - I fancy the boat fishing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bob (reefcat fishing),

Im coming up to the algarve (Monte gordo) on the 20th september (till the 27th sept) and was wondering about availability on your boat and the type of fish we would likely catch. Im very keen to go for game fish, marlin particularly. I sent an email over your site and am yet to get a reply, hope they are getting through to you.

If anyone else knows of boats to hire please let me know.

Thanks;
Graham

I would echo Daves comments with the addition of Dentex and Pargo on the deepwater rock marks. We do sometimes have a run of skipjack in may, but depends on the weather and water temps.

If you fancy a beer and talk fishing when your over, I'm at the marina in Vila real de st antonio most days, feel free to give me a call, never too busy to talk fishing.

Bob

www.reefcatfishing.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Bob (reefcat fishing),

Im coming up to the algarve (Monte gordo) on the 20th september (till the 27th sept) and was wondering about availability on your boat and the type of fish we would likely catch. Im very keen to go for game fish, marlin particularly. I sent an email over your site and am yet to get a reply, hope they are getting through to you.

If anyone else knows of boats to hire please let me know.

Thanks;
Graham
You have a good contact

Luis Manuel Rolão Nabais
Address: Morada Rua da Liberdade 91, 8700-019 Fuseta
Tel. 917301395
e-mail: [email protected]

his daughter have made in the last weekend a IGFA record with a white Marlin in Continent Europe waters

The fish died due to problems with the hook :( .

try to talk to him...he his a very good big game fisherman.

Rui

1 - 19 of 19 Posts