World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi got the little alisa craig home its a 4hp . and when i was looking around it i noticed something familiar on the id plate its made by tomos of yugaslavia a name i know as there was a spate of tomos mopeds that were imported into this country so is the little motor a moped engine anyway servicing thats the reason i brought it home i have yet to start it but will tommorrow so any pointers as to what to look out for but it looks straight foward new plug ,oil change and i will replace the spark plug cap as with bikes being layed up for any lenght of time the inside of the caps can rust due to moisture collecting there so any advice will be gratefully recieved cheers andy

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Is oil in the carb bowl, being 25:1 mix if fuel is left in the carb when you stop it, the petrol evaporates leaving the oil in there, when you next try to start it, it pulls the oil straight into the cylinder & oils up the plug!
Always switch off the fuel & run it until it stops, being air cooled you dont have to be in the water to do this. I had one for years on my Shetland 535, once I "sussed out" this little dodge, & cut a lump out of the engine cover to get at the carb bowl, the little motor was "bombproof" brought us home a couple of times when we needed it, & it was good for trolling although a touch noisy!;)
blueskip

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is oil in the carb bowl, being 25:1 mix if fuel is left in the carb when you stop it, the petrol evaporates leaving the oil in there, when you next try to start it, it pulls the oil straight into the cylinder & oils up the plug!
Always switch off the fuel & run it until it stops, being air cooled you dont have to be in the water to do this. I had one for years on my Shetland 535, once I "sussed out" this little dodge, & cut a lump out of the engine cover to get at the carb bowl, the little motor was "bombproof" brought us home a couple of times when we needed it, & it was good for trolling although a touch noisy!;)
blueskip
bullet proof little motor, and i doubt anyone will moan about the noise when these things get you out of trouble,nice dodge with the engine cover blueskip,i did the same on a penta

1 - 6 of 6 Posts