World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Decoy T-S21 for your belly hooks.
Traditional configuration for tail.

Those T-S21 lie flat on a table.
In practise that means you don't get hook rash on your lures, or the hooks getting hooked round the body (as very occasionally can happen).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

In practise that means you don't get hook rash on your lures, or the hooks getting hooked round the body (as very occasionally can happen).
Or use those nice double hooks from Veals that slip on without using a split ring. PH

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Very interesting...thanks for that man
Good stuff

Cheers ken

·
Registered
233 Posts
Another vote for the VMC permas, cheap and reliable but the barbs can be a bit savage so i crush them down.
Had a pack of the Daiwa DT4601 which are very sharp out the box, cheap aswell, nice hooks.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another vote for the VMC permas, cheap and reliable but the barbs can be a bit savage so i crush them down.
Had a pack of the Daiwa DT4601 which are very sharp out the box, cheap aswell, nice hooks.
Thanks for the reply...
And a new recommendation for the daiwa ones to try..

Cheers ken

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Whats your thoughts on hook colour.....?
I was advised to always use silver hooks, rather than Black and have always gone with that since tbh...admittedly surface biased.
Mart.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dont know what colour hook is best...i have had bass on black hooks... red hooks and different shades of silver.

Cheers ken

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I use doubles on the backs of metals, and on Bad Boy bellies, and Hennie's, but prefer trebles and split rings on the usual HP's.
i have some doubles here but they are mostly brown hooks ,like salmon hooks ..
can you get them in silver..link would help if one can.
welded ,i dont like the open ones.
im hoping to have some made up from a hook manufacturer in Spain..and are waiting on a affirmative reply.they are worried about demand for it..
im hoping to convince them in it being a good idea.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
i have some doubles here but they are mostly brown hooks ,like salmon hooks ..
can you get them in silver..link would help if one can.
welded ,i dont like the open ones.
im hoping to have some made up from a hook manufacturer in Spain..and are waiting on a affirmative reply.they are worried about demand for it..
im hoping to convince them in it being a good idea.
I agree. I think split rings help.

You want short-shank salmon doubles probably.
These are usually welded, and the short shank would help with 'leverage' issues working against the lure.

I would think something like this, possibly?
States they are for 'all water', so I am assuming some salt water protection?

https://www.flytyingcompany.co.uk/partridge-nordic-up-eye-double-nud.html

Or

http://www.fullingmill.co.uk/Products-UK/Tube-Fly-Hooks-UK/FM-Tube-Fly-Double-Hook-Silver-S6-UK

EDIT - SORRY, SCRUB THIS PLAN - Just clicked the eyes will be orientated wrong, unless you use two split rings in tandem.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Or, I guess you could just whip finish the shanks of those open ones?

That is not such a daft idea. Damn quick and easy to do, and those saltwater Owner ones are very good.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What about the top end hooks/expensive ones....owner and the likes what ones would you guys recommend if money wasn't an issue...

Cheers ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gamakatsu SP-MH nothing comes close ,every lure i buy is dressed with them from the off these days ,size 2 for pretty much anything that will take it as they are oversized, or 3 on smaller lures that won't take a size 2 but i would say a 3 is pretty much a size 2 in most trebles, they gradually turn from silver to black but last a long time, super sticky sharp ,superb hooks ,not cheap but worth it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Gamakatsu SP-MH nothing comes close ,every lure i buy is dressed with them from the off these days ,size 2 for pretty much anything that will take it as they are oversized, or 3 on smaller lures that won't take a size 2 but i would say a 3 is pretty much a size 2 in most trebles, they gradually turn from silver to black but last a long time, super sticky sharp ,superb hooks ,not cheap but worth it.
They sound great...thanks for the info.
Funny how some hooks are over sized and some not.

Cheers ken

·
Registered
2,586 Posts

Excellent! Top tip that. Going to try that thanks. Plus it’ll give me something to do changing a few over.
They’re the patch hooks?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Gamakatsu SP-MH
Daiwa DT4601
VMC permasteel 9626
decoyys81s.
size 4 VMCpermasteelhooks
Decoy Y-S81Superheavyduty
decoyY-s81
BKKtrebles
VMC 9626PS 3X Strong Saltwater Treble Hook – Size 4 (10pcs)
Jigpara 4x majorcraft trebles

A wee up date

The list so far...seem to be quite a few on the decoys so far..
And the decoys...

Cheers ken

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)

They look really good...thanks for the info...should be useful to many..

Hope you are well..stay safe

Cheers ken

·
Registered
681 Posts
i use different trebles you listed above but my best choice is the gamakatsu SP MH so i can better balance my lures (size 3-4-5-6 , depends of the lure size and the "buoyancy" i want => to make a lure suspend , i may mix different brands to achieve it )

21 - 40 of 51 Posts