World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having me back lads, thought I'd chuck this in for what it's worth

If you were a huge bass past breeding age... you'd retire, where better than a nice conveyor belt of food coming your way...

Mouths of estuaries produce huge bass...fact!!

A real bass angler would be stupid to ignore this!?

Packed with crab, prawn and bait all getting sucked out into the sea....

Nope, let's make it hard and fish through 100s of sub 8lb bass to chance on a really good one on the open coast... why???

Why would you do that? If you've got your eyes set on a lunker then you better start fishing in an estuary or you better start looking at tidal drangs like half of dorset....essencially the biggest push of tidal water bringing bait close to casting range cause of that thing called the Isle of White...

Biggest 'estuary' movement of water and tide in the country...probably the world!!!

Look at the navionics charts and look at the depth of water and direction of tidal flow and you start to to wonder why more big fish arnt caught.... chesil chucks up a few... should be one a week if it was fished properly

Now let's talk about doubles...

A double in Cornwall is worth 10 doubles in dorset!!! Estuary or not, fact!!

And then there's the pretend doubles... what does that do? Make up a 10lb+ fish?... why? No accusation here by the way, half the double figure bass claimed are bullshit 8lbers

Anyway I'll leave you with one of the best of cornwalls doubles from last year...

Smile Water Cap Baseball cap Fish

Fin Marine biology Fish Water Ray-finned fish

Smile Water Cap Baseball cap Fish

p.s. Good to be back out of prison 馃槈

Catch up soon all the best J

Registered
Doubles have always been hard to find in Cornwall. Plenty caught on the Manacles in the 70s but just the odd one now. Started fishing in the Fal, mid 70s and met many of the old boy's that had fished it during the 60s. The honest ones would tell you they struggled to catch a bass over 8lbs. That's not to say, their not there. I've seen one at the landing stage at Malpas that would easily made 12lbs. The Fal is fished hard now for Gilthead bream. I know of a 9lb bass being caught by a angler while gilthead fishing and have heard rumours of other good bass being caught but realistically, if the Fal was full of doubles, the gilthead anglers would be catching them. We don't get them in Cornwall in the same numbers as other areas, why that is...who knows ?... Great fish btw. is that you, Striker-J ?

Registered
All huge bass come from salt water. Norfolk is different to everywhere else, like everywhere else is different to everywhere else, but our rare doubles all come from the open coast. The flooding estuaries are run by smaller fish up to 5lb all the time, bar the biggest and smallest tides, the bigger fish only come in on very specific tides, mid 8lb'er being the biggest I have heard of in the channels. I caught that. Winner. Our estuaries don't hold any water at low though, so that's a big difference. Open coast throws up one or two doubles a year, mainly to bait, though one of the Norfolk Bass Mafia had an 11 from a boat on a lure, annoyingly for him, within casting distance of the shore (open coast). How different that fish could have been. He could have been a hero, a legend, instead of just a boat cheat. Not sure where a double is caught affects the significance of that catch or achievement? Unless it's anywhere on the South coast or Wales, where it's **** easy. There is a distinction between boat and shore fishing for me, and most people I think?

If it's true that all the doubles are in estuaries, fishing the open coast in a mood doesn't seem like the right tactics to me... 馃槀

Registered
Just to add, I've seen three Norfolk 'double' photos this year on social media with fish that would have had trouble scraping 8lb. Two genuine doubles to my knowledge, but hopefully some more discrete anglers doing well too... Top prize to DanTe

Registered
Open coast throws up one or two doubles a year, mainly to bait, though one of the Norfolk Bass Mafia had an 11 from a boat on a lure, annoyingly for him, within casting distance of the shore (open coast). How different that fish could have been. He could have been a hero, a legend, instead of just a boat cheat.
I've been there, my previous best bass 9.12 ( bait ) was caught on a boat but probably within 20ft of the shore. I now fish the very same spot from the shore with a lure and catch regularly. Unfortunately, you can't get the Shore ONLY anglers to understand this. I'm sure most of them think we're catching them, jigging on 12lb class boat gear.

Registered
Loads of bass in Estuaries
I wish
Might have some think to do with the 100+ seals in my local estuary
Their in the Fal as well, and in numbers. Recently had a huge one take an interest in my dog, Alfie barking at it and the seal snorting back ! quite funny but the fishing was over

Registered
Loads of bass in Estuaries
I wish
Might have some think to do with the 100+ seals in my local estuary
Try 4000! And the Bass still run the estuary.
Wild Scraper is talking sense, for once.
I wonder if there鈥檚 ever been a North Norfolk lure shore caught double? If I had to put money on it I鈥檇 be tempted to say no.
The whole of the S.North Sea is effectively an estuary.

Reactions: Wild Scraper

Registered
What seals or bass you caught
Lol both.

We've got the biggest UK Seal colony and possibly the 2nd or 3rd biggest 40 miles south.
Possibly something like 7/8000 Grey Seals born in Norfolk last Winter.
They string out across the flooding channels like a gill net and the fish still come in.

Reactions: JonD and Mat B

Registered
Ahh go on dante, tell the story, you know you want to, it鈥檚 really good, you know, the one when he nearly had ya, you nearly copped it, your mate sammy, never get tired of it, quality fun for those not involved!

Registered
Ahh go on dante, tell the story, you know you want to, it鈥檚 really good, you know, the one when he nearly had ya, you nearly copped it, your mate sammy, never get tired of it, quality fun for those not involved!
It can鈥檛 be talked about these days Kirkham, it鈥檚 since been recognised as a visitation from the fish gods. They don鈥檛 like too much chat.

Registered
I'm a believer in theres a time to fish estuaries and theres a time to fish the coast, to ignore them is mad and I do agree that people arn't banging them out everywhere anyway.
The one thing I would say though is that this time of year when big bass are about..there is probably 99% less fishing pressure on them..and I include myself in that.
A lot of anglers will return again and again to the estuary because it's easy to park, easy to get to, the conditions are fairly consistent and the code is relatively easy to crack. It's even easier with social media as people (including myself) will put up a report with enough detail to know when and where...the number of reports that come out at the same time is uncanny.
I don't think marks get blown..I think tides/conditions and times get blown..most of the time bass fishing for me is about finding a tiny window of opportunity..the mark hides this but the factors don't.
Estuary fishing has it's own challenges..mainly that it should be a lot lot easier..but doubles are rare and the fact that they are not in a high proportion of catch reports is testament to that..but it is harder to catch a coast double than estuary one, purely from a physical and environmental perspective.

Registered
Then you have secretive people.who for whatever reason keep quiet about catches also not everyone uses the internet etc there's a few.old boys here that catch good fish every year but have a hard job working the most basic of phones!

Premium Member
There isn't just estuary or coast, the geology, geography, food availabilty and tides (to simplify things) will all make a difference. I've had big bass from small harbours open to the Atlantic, coming in at night to get an easy feed off commercial fishing waste. I've had them when targetting big conger in Dorset, where a single sandy patch in a rocky area is pre-baited with chopped up mackerel for a couple of days, before offering a flapper on top of the chunks. Fishing a whole freelined mackerel from the rocks is (was?) a known method for a spare rod in both Dorset and West Wales, whilst after other species. Caught my biggest ever this way, and several others of note. Here, the whole of Valentia Harbour is virtually devoid of bass, yet the habitat appears perfect, but anywhere else in the area, especially storm beaches, is alive with them. Most interesting this year was a previously tagged fish recaught by the same angler at the same spot, years later, at 87cm.

Registered
Also depends where you are.
Water Sky Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Grass
Water Sky Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Grass

That鈥檚 probably 70% of the area I fish.
It鈥檚 pretty much all estuarine even when you鈥檙e in the sea facing out.
We have sandbars that near dry at LW 5 odd miles out, even out on the boat at that distance out you can have tide pull that鈥檒l spin the RIB 360, you also have to plot to avoid banging sandbars at 30kn.
That to my mind is still estuarine.
The actual estuaries themselves are fed by tiny little sluice gated chalk streams, are virtually dry at LW and the Bass very rarely make it into main body of water itself.
The lines between open coast and estuary are very blurred up here.

Registered
Whatever it is it鈥檚 freakin鈥 heaven, my 鈥榟appy place鈥. When conditions are good I wouldn鈥檛 want to be anywhere else. Bass heaven. Got to watch the locals mind.

Also depends where you are.
View attachment 1378150 View attachment 1378150
That鈥檚 probably 70% of the area I fish.
It鈥檚 pretty much all estuarine even when you鈥檙e in the sea facing out.
We have sandbars that near dry at LW 5 odd miles out, even out on the boat at that distance out you can have tide pull that鈥檒l spin the RIB 360, you also have to plot to avoid banging sandbars at 30kn.
That to my mind is still estuarine.
The actual estuaries themselves are fed by tiny little sluice gated chalk streams, are virtually dry at LW and the Bass very rarely make it into main body of water itself.
The lines between open coast and estuary are very blurred up here.

Registered
When conditions are bad I wouldn't want to be anywhere else either... sigh....
Do you want me to send the syndicate ticket invoice to your personal or work email?

Reactions: smart201
1 - 20 of 23 Posts