World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not fished for three weeks and with apathy setting in, I looked on here this morning and read King Muppet's report.

I looked online and there was an hour and a half before high tide. A quick look in the freezer revealed some frozen welsh blacks and pink squid. I grabbed what was there and threw my gear in the car and headed sharpish to Holland-on-sea.

When I arrived I looked over the cliff to see lots of people fishing. I didn't want to fish with the crowds so drove up to the haven car park. I looked at the machine and the robbing barstewards wanted five quid to park for four hours, so sod that. I drove back towards the pier and stopped near Kingscliffe. A quick look and there were only two people there.

I hurriedly got my gear on and stomped down the slope to one of my favourite spots. The sea was nice and lumpy and the colour of chocolate. :thumbs:

A local guy I know, Shaun, turned up and fished to my right with the guy who was already there. First casts went out right on the top of the tide and I wandered over to have a chat. I watched him split a squid open and throw the guts away. I grabbed them and elasticated them to my next lug bait.

Nothing on the first cast, but a nice slack liner on the lug/squid guts cocktail produced this nice 2lbs 5oz codling.

As you can see, I'm doing the species hunt:)

I chucked the next one out on just plain frozen lug and walked off to have a chat again. Mid conversation I turned around and noticed my rod had straightened, so I legged it over and reeled a vast amount of slack line in. A few sharp taps signalled that I hadn't missed it and I soon swung in a lovely conditioned 3lbs 7oz fish.

After that it was just codlets, but it was great to be out again and the apathy is well and truly blown away. :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice result on a short session Neil good luck on your Sussex trip I am doing Eastbourne on Saturday :fish:
Looking at the forecast, I'm not holding out any hope of a plaice, but I should get a few different species so that'll do for me. :thumbs:

·
Registered
21,363 Posts
Nice short session there Neil. Interesting about the squid guts, last summer I switched from tipping off with a longways strip of the squid mantle to sections cut across the body including a section of the guts and my bass catches seemed to improve significantly....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice short session there Neil. Interesting about the squid guts, last summer I switched from tipping off with a longways strip of the squid mantle to sections cut across the body including a section of the guts and my bass catches seemed to improve significantly....
One of our local well known match anglers swears by them. I've caught loads of fish on squid head and guts lightly hooked on a circle hook and cast out a good way in a DVice.

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Nice result Concrete for a short session, ive fished Holland beaches a few times and always found it fishes better on the drop and the better fish come at distance, correct me if im wrong. :thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well done that man, great pictures , looks like I should get an I phone instead of a gooseberry phone ,far better pictures , and two Codling to my one , good going :notworthy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
looks like the area is fishing well, by reports from both beach and inshore boats, any roker showing yet from the piers or beaches?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Wish we had chosen the shore as opposed to a session of Piking!:giveup:

Totally agree about squid heads and squid guts, had plenty of fish on them, not just as tippers, but as a lone bait.

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
Nice fish ......

We will have to have a few chucks soon it's been ages since I went.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Great stuff - a nice pair at a normally quiet time of the year. Any hopes of a spring run your way?

Mart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts