World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Well its on" say,s Sid the CBYC Fishing section chairman, its going to be lovelly... the weather is going to be flat calm by the morning...great..and i took his word for it.. I was going with Eddy on his boat 'Dylan Bach' and joining us was Paul Who hadn't done much fishing... So we left Cardiff Bay at 6 pm and headed west, we were going to Tusker rock where i'd had a few nice bass the week before... we rounded the Ranny with me driving up top on the flybridge MAGIC! a bit of wind but nothing for a 36 footer.. we had live sandeels mackerel and squid, great what could go wrong !!!
Nash narrows was a little lumpy and the wind was a little stonger but with Sids words in our heads we carried on.. We arrived at Tusker and to be fare it wasn't to bad.. so we positioned the boat and dropped the hook... after about 30 min's the swells started to pick up, the wieghts were being dragged into the rocky bottom and we hadden't had a bite.. then on the radio those dreaded words blasted out.... "GALE WARNING LUNDY AND IRISH SEA FORCE 8 IMMINANT" Bloody hell where did that come from? we quickly got in touch with some of the other boats, only to find that nearly all of them had returned to port because it was to rough..Only Craig on 'FatKat' was still out fishing off Stout point and according to him was catching loads of fish...A quick vote and we were on our way.. Anchoring about a 100yards from 'FatKat' we settled down for some fishing.. straight away i was into a fish on the live sandeel DOGFISH then Paul DOGFISH and then Eddy DOGFISH one after another as fast as we could get the baits into the water DOGFISH they didn't count so all went back.. then Eddy hooked something a bit different a strap conger which i swung into the boat and straight into Eddy's lap... what he didn't call me was nobodies.. well i of course i said sorry ( it was his boat and i didn't want to walk home ) The sea was pretty good although it was blowing a bit so we decided to stay until slack water and then run home with the tide..Fat Kat by this time had already legged it...
Slack water came and so did the Gale in a matter of min's the sea became a turmoil !!! I went up the front of the boat to get the anchour in, although we could have used the button inside we were afraid if we couldn't see it come up, it would swing into the hull, as it was now that rough, I laid on the deck and using the electric winch reeled it in ( if your already lying down you can't fall down ) then made my way back along the deck, just then a big wave hit us and i had to hang on for dear life... Eddy had a fit as he thought i'd gone overboard ( in that sea and in the dark i'd have had no chance) I got back into the cockpit and looked back out at the sea.. it was mad.. we must have been hit by a squall there was waves coming from everywhere and poor Eddy couldn't see a thing as his plotter was on full brightness blinding him...we fiddled with it for a bit and then finally managed to alter it so we could see out of the window... I took a bearing on the power stations tower and headed towards it we had to take the boat up to about 15 knots to get the bow up out of the waves... we were on our way home ... Eddy asked to take over so he could have a *** or6 just to try and relax him the first *** he lit got taken clean out of his mouth by a wave hitting us ... the second got so wet it ended up as handy as a jelly hammer....
I plotted a course and with the help of Paul ( who seemed to be enjoying the whole thing)tried to pick out the red flashing beacons to guide us home... out of the corner of my eye I noticed this thick white line coming out of the dark towards us ...BANG... water everywhere and the port side windscreen wiper fell off... now we were both having to look through the one window... At last i picked out the Ranny bouy light and headed toward it ...every now and then a wave would pick us up and throw us forward at about 20 knots..but to be fair although we were surfing the boat was still perfectly under control... suprisingly we passed over the Ranny with not to much problem as the waves were directly behind us by now,:boat: so the only problem now was to navigate through the channel to the barrage as it was still near to the bottom of the tide and still pitch black...after what we just came through no probs...... The final insult was the heavens opened up on us as we tied up in the 3:15am lock
The result of the Comp, was NO FISH WEIGHED IN....
The chairman Sid was in bed by 11oclock
And 'FatKat' caught loads of fish DOGFISH.....
PLEASE LEARN FROM MY STUPID MISTAKE AND CHECK THE WEATHER FORCAST YOURSELF AND BELIEVE NO-ONE

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
welcome to the site not a bad first post m8 i find that not one of the metsites gives a true forcast but this was nearly correct today http://fishingwx.com/longrange.php or you could try www.magicseaweed.com and look at the webcams for rest bay in realtime although that won`t help if your going to fish the nash systems this also might help http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ hope these sites help you tight`uns

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Hi Rayfish,

I would like to compliment you on an excellent, well written and descriptive post. A tinge of humour, coupled with the obvious, underlying concerns for the safety of one and all, and a well scripted, detailed and honest commentary, with a sting in the tail and a sound warning that when dealing with the elements nothing can be taken for granted, and that double checking reports is a worthwhile exercise.

I enjoyed your atmospheric presentation,

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek Townsend)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Derek...
If you remember me ( Sandy Ray ) from days gone by at Porthcawl ,,, then you should agree with me i should have known better...
Happy Bass hunting'
Ray Perkins....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOPS....:nono::nono:
Just to put things right 'Fat Kat ' did catch fish other than Dogfish on the all night boat comp, the other Saturday night....Strap conger,etc...etc....
I didn't think it mattered .... but it seems it did... so i'm sorry :cc_surren

1 - 6 of 6 Posts