World Sea Fishing Forums banner

All the gear and no idea where to go!

768 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  andy1965 
#1 ·
I've decided to try travelling light this summer, and got myself some lure fishing gear, Can anyone point me in the direction of any decent marks not too far from Bangor where i could try my luck?
Cheers

#2 ·
Good luck with that one mate bass marks are
Hard to come by you have to put the effort in yourself and that's not being funny
But people put a lot of work into finding marks to find fifty people ther if they say
Anything on forums seek and you will find just try lots of rock marks up and down and around Anglesey tides are important so is the wether and day and night it's hard work but its worth it wene you get it right tight lines gilly

#3 ·
Like said above you wont get people just giving you marks where bass are concerned, sorry but that's just the way it is.
If it's the Bangor area you are after then my best advice is try the Menai Straits.
Also pop into Malcolm's ABC tackle shop, Gallows Point just before Beaumaris.
He will give you some good advice and some idea where to try, best of luck mate.

#6 ·
One place I would start with is Penmon....never done any lure fishing BUT thats where I would start.....going to try some fly fishing this year so thats where I will start.........probably will get a few daft looks but what the heck

Dave
Penmon perplexes me, bait fish, rock ledges, weed, current, everything a bass desires but despite many attempts I've never caught or seen one come out from the shore :confused:

#8 ·
One place I would start with is Penmon....never done any lure fishing BUT thats where I would start.....going to try some fly fishing this year so thats where I will start.........probably will get a few daft looks but what the heck

Dave
Penmon perplexes me, bait fish, rock ledges, weed, current, everything a bass desires but despite many attempts I've never caught or seen one come out from the shore :confused:
Thanks for the (confusingly contradictory) advice!

I wasnt asking which rock to stand on at what state of the moon tide and stars, as some seem to think, more for a general location, but a little less vague than "try the straits" :wallbash:

I also wasnt asking just for bass marks, i'm just fed up with lugging half a ton of beach gear down a cliff to catch doggies!!

#9 ·
The easiest thing is I suppose is now you've got the gear just go a wondering and give it a go. Bass will turn up anywhere at the end of the day and I sure you have some idea what to look for. Give rock marks and beaches a bash and you'll soon start gathering what's going to work ,tides etc. Yes it can be hard work but it will teach you a lot and you'll be able to understand why and when. Being pointed in the right direction is all you need and if you trawl through the plugging posts a lot probably be dawn and dusk catches but that doesn't mean that midday is no good for some places.
Plugging is not just a cast and chuck although for some it is, it involves more water craft skills than normal and you can be the only teacher of yourself. Take Andy1965 he goes a traveling but he's always got back up marks and Ideas where the fish will be on a set day/weather, but this is down to hard work and building up a picture over time of what works and what doesn't.
So go and give it a bash and on your travels you will bump into folk and tips and spots will exchange and success will be around the corner.

#12 ·
Thanks for the (confusingly contradictory) advice!

I wasnt asking which rock to stand on at what state of the moon tide and stars, as some seem to think, more for a general location, but a little less vague than "try the straits" :wallbash:

I also wasnt asking just for bass marks, i'm just fed up with lugging half a ton of beach gear down a cliff to catch doggies!!

Like I said no one is being funny you have to get out and try we're have you bin fishing

#16 ·
Take Andy1965 he goes a traveling but he's always got back up marks and Ideas where the fish will be on a set day/weather, but this is down to hard work and building up a picture over time of what works and what doesn't.

So go and give it a bash and on your travels you will bump into folk and tips and spots will exchange and success will be around the corner.

Cheers for that penn, you make it sound like I actually know what I'm doing! :laugh:.

Lure fishing for bass is extremely infuriating but also highly addictive, bass will show at most places across North Wales at some time or another so studying OS maps, Google earth etc and exploring likely looking marks is all part of the game, I've been on the lures myself for a couple of years now and though I've had quite a few helpful tips along the way I've also put in hundreds or even thousands of hours of studying and fishing time for a grand total of 12 bass in 2 years, catching a bass from a mark you have researched, pinpointed and sussed out for yourself though is one of the biggest buzzes you can experience in fishing and worth every second of the effort you put into it :1a:.

"Try the Straits" is not as vague a suggestion as you seem to think, you have one of THE best stretches of bass water in the world on your doorstep and anywhere you can get down to the water should produce bass at some time of the year or stage of the tide etc etc etc.

Get out there, give it a go, enjoy yourself and make us all as jealous as hell when you start catching bass on a regular basis :fishing:

Reactions: FishGeek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.