World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

following a few strokes and a bit of depression, My lovely wife has just bought me a shed load of new and used kit. And is keen for me to get out and go fishing. (I know i got really lucky reading most of the threads she is quite unique !)

But having not been fishing for 20 years, was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs or groups around Hull / East Yorkshire that might have space for a keen newbie.

Really enjoyed beach casting and rock fishing and living on the east coast it seems logical for me to restart this hobby.

Have often seen groups of people fishing off the walls near Makro in Hull, but the old male ego is preventing me from making my deput alone in public.

I do have a week coming up in a cottage near Dinas Dinlle mid september so i'm hoping to have at least got a few hooks wet before then.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
dunno m8 try posting in the regional section down the bottom, where local info is, your wifes a star, sure some1 will give u a better response, if u were down S devon asking theres plenty of pple whod take up the offer sure yorkshires the same. good luck cheers mat

·
Registered
497 Posts
Best thing to do is go to your local tackle shop and ask the owner for some advice. Explain your situation and he should give you all the relevant information ie rigs,bait and times.... (in theory) failing that look on the 'buddy' thread....... AS A LAST RESORT jump on the ferry to Zeebrugge and you can cast a line with me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, Perhaps once I've got a few bites under my belt I may take you up on your offers.

Good Idea about the tackle shops, just need to make sure I leave my credit card at home, too many shiny tempting tackely treats available now.

Found some local marks and mother in law staying this weekend so looks like I'll be getting my tackle wet saturday (see there is always a catch, great wife, dodgy in-laws)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Just go for it m8, take your gear and bait, sure the locals will help out if you ask them,they will know all the best tactics etc, if you don't ask you don't get:victory:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I am sure most anglers will be very helpful towards you. this forum exist through anglers wanting to help angler ( well most of the time):sad:
Most daunting task to me, especially when fishing near to other anglers, is casting.
suggest you find a local field and build up some casting confidence, along with a bit of accuracy.
Even now, if I have a new rod or reel I always like to have a few casts on my own.:fish:

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Hi,I fish that coast quite a lot,but actually live nearer Blackpool than Spurn,a good idea would be to find the website"Fishing the Holderness Coast",I am posting from my ipod otherwise I would put up a link......a mine of information on marks and local clubs from Grimsby /Cleethorps north to Scarborough and beyond.
Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Boggatt,

Yep, you are lucky fella, my misses keeps trying to sell my gear at the boot sale.. lol..

Have you tried asking at your local Tourist Info Office? There may be a local group for "Special Need" fishing group that can help.

Don't be put of by the term "Special Needs", it covers everything from heart attack & stroke victims, disabled & wheelchair users, right through to slight to moderate Learning Difficulties & Mental Health...

They normally have paid and un-paid volunteer helpers, and do 1 to 1 and group sessions for all levels of skill. The groups I help out on (down here in Dorset) are great fun, and you meet loads of really helpful, really nice people, who all love fishing and a great day out.

Or as meanstreak says...

Just go for it m8, take your gear and bait, sure the locals will help out if you ask them,they will know all the best tactics etc, if you don't ask you don't get
Tight lines
Bodders

1 - 8 of 8 Posts