World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#0000FF'>Good Day all, buying off the net is all very well if you research and know exactly what you want&#33;  I quite fancied trying out the "Alvey sidecaster" and without reading all the schpeel on the dimensions of it, ended up ordering the "650", whow&#33; never seen a reel so big&#33; 6 inch accross the front and 7 1/4 at the back,------ ANYBODY else got one?----hope I aint gunna get laughed off the beach,   May try it today at Eastbourne if there &#39;s no one around, and I have the strength to lift it.----Be Lucky...Rob

Thanks for your input guys, Fish:Fan: Mike jr, Macky 1  I&#39;m not too clever yet at casting as I&#39;ve just got back into sea fishing after 20yrs + but this "ALVEY SIDECASTER" certainly made up for my inadaquacies, and would imagin in the hands of an experienced angler would be the ultimate casting machine. However, because I did&#39;nt load it -(600m @20lb with sufficiant tension, I experienced coils of line slipping off the rim as I made a cast, and although I took a couple of hiundred meters off to try and rectify the problem, I never did get to the source. So had to remove the lot and rewind it all on again, this time I  wound 350m laying it mainly at the back of the spool, and then "gradually" laid to the front with the remainder. tried it yesterday and no more problems, dunno how far I cast it but it was definiteley twice as far as I&#39;ve ever cast before, with fixed spool or multiplyer.
be lucky......
rob</font>

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I dont know what the Alvey is like give it a go and give us a review of it and let us know how it performs. The idea of this part of the forum is to exclusively show everyday anglers reviews of fishing products so that others gain a non biased opinion that isnt sales orientated.</font>

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Moved this post. The user review forum is for reviews only. You should also get a better response in this forum.

I think we have or had an old Alvey Sidecaster in the loft, it&#39;s interesting to say the least
Never actually fished with one&#33; Sure they must be some Aussie fishing people on this forum somewhere who could help
Still it&#39;s a piece of fishing kit, so you&#39;re bound to have fun playing with it

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>they are a common site on the cliff tops of bempton and flamborugh...but u are fishing from 300-400ft high cliffs
so a massive reel that can cast is needed

macky</font>

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Just for your interest this type of reel was very popular with north east beach and pier fishermen. They are very tough and can handle big fish.They have a good casting capability and &nbsp;over rough ground a very fast retrieve which is why many guys bought them. Most of the more skilled guys used it mounted near the foot of the rod about 8 inches up so that when turned sideways on the reel was only just sitting above the butt. The left hand thumb held the line and they used a big drop on the lead length to get some massive distances considering the baits the anglers would use. I know a lot of guys that would swear they would not use anything else. I think the only thing that changed their minds eventually was that the multipliers from ABU and the like incorporated brakes to allleviate birds nests.</font>

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have one from when I first fished as a kid (I have only recently taken up fishing again as I moved from landlocked Nottinghamshire to Sunny Chesil). If I remember correctly they were popular then with the Aussies and allowed casting of great distances when normal fixed spools were pretty clunky and not the improved machines they are today. It would be interesting to see how you get on. Mine is not one of the huge ones, but I have used it with my bass rod and light lures, it certainly gets the lure out further than a light fixed spool.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
macky1 said:
<font color='#000000'>they are a common site on the cliff tops of bempton and flamborugh...but u are fishing from 300-400ft high cliffs
so a massive reel that can cast is needed

macky</font>
paul medd,s father fishes the yorkshire coast and still uses a scarbouragh reel [side cast], with good results. he,s not fishing at distance but casting into holes and gullies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mmmmmmm Alvey's......

Yes us aussie types love our Alveys, mainly cos lots of us first started out on the beach with one as youngsters, and though many move on to o'heads and spinning reels, there still very popular for lots of very good reasons.

Still without peer really on your typical[read sandy] beach, there simple to use, can cast a bait[unweighted] a very long way and best of all near on indestructable!!!. Drop it on the sand, no problem, a quick dunk in the ocean and off you go again. 5 1/2 " version.

We use them off the rocks with stiff 8-10ft rods to subdue all manner of hard fighting beasties, holds lots of heavy mono so you can go hard at the fish. 6 1/2" version.

Smaller versions useful for collecting whiting/herring/mackerel for bait, or something to give kids and not worry about damage. 4" version.

Non casting versions filled with 5/600 metres of 80lb braid to drop down to the depths looking for the weird oooglies down there!! 7 1/2 to 9" version.

The bigger ones can be heavy and the retrieve a bit slow but you sort of get used to it, though more and more are being made in lightweight graphite/plastics

As you can guess I have all of the above for those very reasons, and another 5 or 6 of varying sizes/styles and vintages.

One IMPORTANT thing to remember is to use a quality, correctly sized swivel above all rigs to prevent line twist, apart from that about as user friendly as a reel can get.

For all round use over there I would recommend a 550 c5 matched to a 10 to 12 ft rod some thing moderate in action, but the reel has to mount very low on the rod[cast and you'll see why]

Thoroughly recommended.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Being as my surname is Alvey, I would quite like to invesigate obtaining a reel with my name on it. Where can I obtain one?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mr Tyn Alvey.

Try visiting Ausfish.com.au On the opening page top left you'll see tha Alvey logo, and all the info on the myriad of reels they make.

P.S. Ignore the prices, you generally pay around 60/70% of the prices mentioned in any aussie tackle shop.

Try CampbellsProtackle.com for an aussie online shop, prices usually very good.{no affilliation of any sort} Plus you can see the sort of stuff we can get compared to whats in the U.K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts