This is exactly why I bought my own boat. Even if it is a bit too blowy at sea, we can still fish sheltered in the harbour at Portland. Obviously the skippers have a duty of care for their customers which is paramount and the decision to cancel a trip is normally made 7pm the night before, so if it turns out nice your bugg*red. We've also been booked to go on a sunday, trip cancelled night before, so we went shore fishing, only to see every private boat go out fishing in perfect weather and conditions!! typical. They have to make the decision sometime practical, and as theres normally 8-10 punters, this aint normally practical at 5am in the morning.
We had 4 trips cancelled last november, but in all honesty, nothing went out during the bad longlasting storms we had running up to Christmas.
~We've been out every weekend since may! (bar one weekend)