World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reel in back to front, as in i reel in with my right hand and the fixed spool reel on top of the rod not under.

I got my ears battered last weekend with comments like oooo it will put my strain on your reel and people well just could not get their head around why I do it like that as im right handed!

anyone else do this and does anyone think there is any risk of damage to my reel by reeling in this way?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
handed! anyone else do this and does anyone think there is any risk of damage to my reel by reeling in this way?
You are not totally alone .... you occasionally see people as kak-handed as you lolLike Ian said .... if you need to reel with that hand swap the handle round to the other side, though to be honest the bulk of right handed anglers will reel with the left hand if they use a fixed spool. You won't damage the reel but you may damage the rod by effectively using the thing upside down as fixed spool rods have less rings and its likely the line will be contacting the blank at the tip ... not going to do the blank or the line any good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also run the risk of damaging the rod by bending it against it's natural curve.Just a totally wrong way to fish.Buy a better reel that can be used left or right handed. :uhuh:
don't agree with that mate, a rod is built the same way up with the same material so makes no difference which way its bent, force wise the only thing that would be different is your pulling down on the hoops not up which in a way i would imagine is better than when your pulling up and hoops are facing down your trying to force them out. :blink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Could imagine that using the rod upside down you could be damaging the rod's back bone. Your using the rod the opposite way to it was designed. The rod would be fighting against the action. As for the reel using it your way your putting extra stress on the bearings and spool shaft by using it upside down.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Are you happy using your set up this way? If so carry on bud, each to their own :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from the Batcave.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The reel is designed to be fixed under the rod that is why the foot plate design is different front/rear. Fishing with the reel upside down is causing more stress on the foot plate and the main support bar which will in turn affects the stress's on the spool.
I have seen people use a rod and reel like this in the past which caused 2 problems. 1. Fatigue and stress to the rods weave construction as it's bent in the opposite way. 2. The reels foot plate snapped and minor cracks in the support bar.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Steve your reel the shimano aerlex the handle does swap over just unscrew plastic stopper anti clockwise on opposite side to handle and it will come out with a little plastic stopper on the thread then pull handle out and swap hope this helps ,I am cac handed lol

G

·
Steve your reel the shimano aerlex the handle does swap over just unscrew plastic stopper anti clockwise on opposite side to handle and it will come out with a little plastic stopper on the thread then pull handle out and swap hope this helps ,I am cac handed lol
well done mate . To the op , yes u are the only one !! lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

FINALLY! found another one lol

i will try tonight, i did take it off before but there was a clear plastic cog that felt like it could not be removed? ah well pix to follow later!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Ummm... when you cast you bend the rod one way and when you reel in, hopefully with a big fish on the end *cough* the rod bends the other way. How can anyone even suggest that doing those things in reverse damages the rod? You may lose some power during casting by having the backbone on the wrong side which the average Joe wouldn't even notice but damage? Come on!

I have seen quite a few people use a reel like this, usually novices it has to be said, but if it works for you and you're happy with it that's all that matters. Using a rod rung for fixed spool reels upside down will mean the line will touch the blank though so wind in with the rod angled to the side to avoid it, that's how I get around using a multiplier on a rod rung for fixed spool. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts