World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the past year and seeing the huge amount of caravans/campervans last summer and seeing it all over again, is anyone else feeling a bit pissed off that Scotland seems like a personal disneyland/resort to the rest of the UK.

Last year as soon as the floodgates opened, you couldn't stop in a layby because they were filled with campervans. You could travel the length of Scotland and not hear a Scottish accent when people should have been sensible and went somewhere more local. Now I can see it all over again, campervans in their droves and rubbish piling up in the countryside.

I get it, nobody has had a holiday. But does everybody and their mum from across the UK have to race here as soon as it's open for travel?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
451 Posts
Yes it's annoying, but think why it's happening. Scotland is empty, largely, with beautiful scenery despite the weather So if you want a mini-adventure in a weather-proof mobile box, Scotland it is.
Being Scottish we are lucky to have such scenery. Unfortunately everyone likes it.

But a LOT of the blame has to rest with councils who for years have wanted tourists to visit and spend a few quid and provide NOTHING in the way of amenities, signs everywhere saying "take your rubbish home with you", even if the rubbish was bought locally. As usual they are waking up to reality a bit late.

An angler had a go at me last week for "not being from round here, fish your own patch". He had travelled from Inverness to Fort William, cheeky tw*t. "It's still in Highland" he said.

The midges will be around soon, hopefully they'll put off a lot of the first-timers from ever returning.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Yes it's annoying, but think why it's happening. Scotland is empty, largely, with beautiful scenery despite the weather So if you want a mini-adventure in a weather-proof mobile box, Scotland it is.
Being Scottish we are lucky to have such scenery. Unfortunately everyone likes it.

But a LOT of the blame has to rest with councils who for years have wanted tourists to visit and spend a few quid and provide NOTHING in the way of amenities, signs everywhere saying "take your rubbish home with you", even if the rubbish was bought locally. As usual they are waking up to reality a bit late.

An angler had a go at me last week for "not being from round here, fish your own patch". He had travelled from Inverness to Fort William, cheeky tw*t. "It's still in Highland" he said.

The midges will be around soon, hopefully they'll put off a lot of the first-timers from ever returning.
I absolutely agree with your sentiments.
Dumfries and Galloway probably benefit more than just about any other county in Scotland from visiting anglers and tourism in general, but their attitude towards the improvement of existing facilities like parking, toilets, litter bins and decent boat launching sites is miserly.
About four years ago one good launching/parking site was left barely usable following unassociated council related works. When I emailed the council they simply replied that it wasn't their responsibility, even when I explained that the extra manoeuvring with a boat trailer on a busy narrow main road was dangerous.
Compared to ROI, Scotland's boat launching facilities are extremely poor.

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
I know the feeling!!!!! Unfortunately the psshead idiots who would usually go abroad are staycationing!!!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I know the feeling!!!!! Unfortunately the psshead idiots who would usually go abroad are staycationing!!!
They're acomin' t'gitchya 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: cfish

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was over at Etive first Wednesday after lockdown.......was the worst I've seen it for litter & f×ck knows aw what in a long time !

Was talking to a couple of locals I've gotten to know......they were saying that weekend, it was like the hordes descended.

Folk just parking anywhere......on the road.....in passing places......even in residents driveways, or partially blocking them. One of them told me some of the locals were going nuts !!

You can't blame them !! When a bunch of f×ckin yahoo's with little or no respect for the countryside or other folks property invade the area. As I walked to my chosen mark....I saw disposable bbq's......empty cans.....beer bottles....just the usual that's left by f×ckwits.

In saying that.....as I drove past the layby at the old church.....I noticed the 2 flip top bins that used to be there.....are now gone !
Nowhere to put rubbish then......but that's still no excuse.

This is just the start of restrictions being lifted too !!........
H'mmmmm I see trouble brewing throughout the summer months......when the f×ckwits arrive !!

·
Registered
15,187 Posts
Everything sounds not so good from the above posts ,I have travelled to Etive to stay,from Yorkshire ,quite a few times , in the past it has been clean and tidy, people seemed to respect the area and the traffic was not too busy ( well apart from the cop who clocked me doing 37 in a 30 ) fair play I held my hand up and he just gave me a verbal ticking off 😱.

As said in another post we will be there from the 21 st, but staying in a place away from the main roads and tourists routes so hopefully things will be OK, I promise not to leave any litter ( never do ) and to park responsibly .

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's the management of our countryside that is letting Scotland down, take a look at how it's done in spain, Italy and France, they create proper managed facilities. Skye is over run with tourists, if it were managed better and had proper investment perhaps we would have better infastructure. I dont get what someones accent has to do with the price of cheese...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts