World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance of getting myself an Ambassadeur 7000i Pro Rocket for e very reosonable price. It is second hand, but in mint condition (only used once then left at home becosue the owner could not be arsed to learn how to use it).

However I cant find much info on this reel online.

I plan to use it for my surf casting rood. Anyone got any pro's and con's with this one?
:secret:

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Think you'll find that it's a go faster version of the 7000..

Bearings instead of bushes & maybe a faster retrieve 5.3-1 instead of 4.1-1 All right for rough ground fishing, but if you want to use a shockleader with it you might help yourself by either removing the levelwind, or if you want to keep it, widen it so the knot goes through it a little easier.

The older 7000s could achieve some reasonable distances when set up right, not sure about the newer models??

Make sure you rinse the salt off after each use! They will corrode if you don't look after them...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let me help you out a bit, since i have 5 of the old blue 7500 c3 ct. These are more or less the same in size. But first of all i can't make up if it's the CT type that is the one highly preferred. The one without the levelwind so to speak. Is there a levelwind mounted and can you also check if there is a cast control present (breakingblocks) in the inside. If not don't buy it unless you have a magic thumb. It's more of a rough ground reel a very popular size in the States though. You can get a fair distance with it if you have a good technique, bigger reels are more difficult to control.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Let me help you out a bit, since i have 5 of the old blue 7500 c3 ct. These are more or less the same in size. But first of all i can't make up if it's the CT type that is the one highly preferred. The one without the levelwind so to speak. Is there a levelwind mounted and can you also check if there is a cast control present (breakingblocks) in the inside. If not don't buy it unless you have a magic thumb. It's more of a rough ground reel a very popular size in the States though. You can get a fair distance with it if you have a good technique, bigger reels are more difficult to control.
It will have a levelwind as the only 7000 without 1 is the new red 7000i CT Mag.. it will also have break blocks..

·
Registered
206 Posts
It will have a levelwind as the only 7000 without 1 is the new red 7000i CT Mag.. it will also have break blocks..
Ok that is a bit of a bummer.....you'll have to agree. Maybe he can fit a new frame to convert it to a CT....:yeah:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found some specs on this reel, and it is a CS.

Features:
• 2 Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
• 1 Corrosion Resistant Instant Anti-Reverse Bearing
• Carbon Matrix Drag System
• Synchronized Levelwind System
• Line Out Alarm
• Aluminum Spool

Does not look to be so different from its sister reel in the 6500 size.

Have to think a bit more on this, as if the wife finds out, justice will be swift and gruesome :wub:

Perhaps I can hide it in the car...lol

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
It is a much bigger reel than the 6500!
The 6500 holds roughly 200yds of 17lb line while the 7000 holds 325yds of the same 17lb line.. Much heavier & stronger, suited to rough ground heavy beachcasting or medium boat fishing, uptiding..

Wont cast anywher near as well as the 6500 but well enough for the types of fishing described.

You can obtain a conversion kit to change it to a ct if you wish?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have the 6500 Pro rocket. get it converted to ct and you've got a cracking reel. I find mine smoother and better to use than a mag elite.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 6500 Pro rocket. get it converted to ct and you've got a cracking reel. I find mine smoother and better to use than a mag elite.
Excuse my ignorance. But what is it that makes the CT more brilliant than the CS?

Surely the line will be distributed more uneven on the spool without the levelwind, resulting in more birdsnests etc.?

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you're just casting and retrieving occasionally then a ct is fine, you lay the line yourself wif yer fumb.

I use my 5500 for spinning for pollack etc and it's a pain in the rear in the ct configuration for that kinda thing.

Plus if you make a mistake, clearing a snag whatever and reeling at manic speed, too much line on one side can result in it getting trapped between the spool and the cage and become fatally weakened by getting cut.

This problem never happens if you use a level wind.

For trubble free fishing, cs is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Excuse my ignorance. But what is it that makes the CT more brilliant than the CS?

Surely the line will be distributed more uneven on the spool without the levelwind, resulting in more birdsnests etc.?
Line comes off the reel unrestricted and smoother on a ct reel. The problem with a cs is that the line could travel through the level wind slower than the spool is turning (drag), resulting in a birds nest. With practice you'll be able to lay line back on the reel neatly. You wont see many peolpe using cs reels on a tournament feild.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Thanks all...

I am quite new to multi reels. Just got my first one little over a month ago (6500 CS Rocket).

Why would I want to convert it to a CT? :huh:

You will cast further with a ct reel. You get a better grip on the spool when casting & you haven't got the extra "mechanics" of the levelwind which does slow the reel down somewhat.
However, if you are happy using your cs then carry on doing so.
You only need to think of converting to cts if you really want to achieve much greater distances.. The reels you have mentioned are both capable of reasonable distances just as they are & as said previously, you can always change reels or convert the ones you have at a later date if you change your mind.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts