World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few weeks away from fishing the N Wales coast I decided to have a session after the mini-species off of the Breakwater at Amlwch earlier.

Set up just before 1pm with light rods and small hooks (didn't go above size 12s all session). Bait was mainly rag with little bits of squid used occasionally.

Had fish from the off, there's more fish there than on Menai Bridge Pier!

First up was this Rock Goby

Before the first of a multitude of Poor Cod

and small Pollack

Brucey bonus species number 45 came up in the shape of the 1st of a few Leopard Spotted Gobies

A few half decent Ballan Wrasse

about half a dozen Goldsinny Wrasse

A load of micro Codling

and Pin Whiting

A solitary Rock Cook

A very hungry Sea Scorpion who was caught after clamping onto a hooked Poor Cod, must of been hungry as it didn't want to let go...

and finally species 11 for the day, Corkwing Wrasse

Packed up at 5pm to go home for my tea. I'll be back out next weekend at some point.

Tight lines

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Gareth,
Good report and session.
Well done on the species.
Coastman

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bl**dy hell your hard work to keep up with, until you put that picture up i had never even heard of a leopard spoted goby. Well done mate.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Ah the rock cook wrasse. That little sod has evaded me for the last two years. Good report Gareth. Love the pic of the scorpion, greedy little bugger.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lots of likkle fishies, but they gave you a very sporting afternoon. Well done garethp :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah the rock cook wrasse. That little sod has evaded me for the last two years. Good report Gareth. Love the pic of the scorpion, greedy little bugger.
End of Holyhead Breakwater, in the corner underneath where you park your car under the lighthouse is probably the best spot for Rock Cooks mate.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bl**dy hell your hard work to keep up with, until you put that picture up i had never even heard of a leopard spoted goby. Well done mate.
If you think that was bad, I had this last week on a boat out of Weymouth

Red Bandfish, bit of a brucey bonus.

Hopefully I'll add Red Gurnard and Tope whilst on My Way next weekend. Also got a hunch where I can get Triggerfish from the shore on Anglesey, hopefully the weather will be good enough to try.

I'll keep you all posted

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Nice mixture there Gareth. I fancy a bash at a trigger too - I know they are around here as well because dead ones get washed up in cold weather early wintertime.

Hoping this weather keeps improving into the fishier time of year that starts towards the end of August :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you think that was bad, I had this last week on a boat out of Weymouth

Red Bandfish, bit of a brucey bonus.

Hopefully I'll add Red Gurnard and Tope whilst on My Way next weekend. Also got a hunch where I can get Triggerfish from the shore on Anglesey, hopefully the weather will be good enough to try.

I'll keep you all posted
Hi mate, Yeh i saw your post on the red band and i think i might take the kayak down to weymouth next weekend see if i can pick one up. I usually go down for the weekend at the end of September for red mullet and scad of the beach but this year i'll take the yak.
col175

·
Registered
7,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
nice one Garethp, great pics as usual,think i will have a bit of a species hunt next year,and will set myself a modest target of 20, which is probably double my usual yearly figure,and i can use your pics for identification as well

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know the place, it even has a name...Corkwing corner lol. It's full of em.
Indeed it is Corkwing Corner, favourite haunt of all the mini species!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts