World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if ammo frozen peeler have to be peeled and de-lunged prior to use or is it already done?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know if ammo frozen peeler have to be peeled and de-lunged prior to use or is it already done?

Thanks

John
i've bought em in frozen ammo packs from londis bait freezer, i've had to literally operate on em LOL. anyways, i found you need to defrost em (naturally - overnight/on trip) before you can de-shell em, then de-lung em and so on.

they come up all right 7 times out of 10 with practice (or years of handed down practice if you're lucky, i've only been fishing 18 months).

I had a go then found my trusty local tackle dealer prepares them hassle free with beautiful presentation! all you need to do is cut em in half.

personally it's a 50/50 thing, whether he's sold out and i'm desperate for peelers etc.

if not, go 'au naturel' and collect your own :happy: :D

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Why delung them prior to using them? Thought delunging was to improve the freezing process resulting in a firmer crab after defrosting.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Never buy frozen crab with the lungs left in

i leave them in when fishing with live, but remove when freezeing

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out they were de-lunged and peeled, nice big crab as well.......but at £3.75 for four they average out at around .93p each I think I'll be peeler hunting this weekend.
Thanks for the answers everyone......:)

John

·
Registered
602 Posts
Suggest you avoid the frozen softies imported from China, these are frozen intact , lungs and all, and when defrosted are totally soft, and useless, Ask your dealer for country of origin and if they are honest will tell you. The Chinees imports appear to be soft swimmer crabs, with large webs on the rear legs , the soft skin like shell easily peels off leaving little if any substance for hook hold , you will need to bind them on quite firmly with elastic to get a secure fixing on the hook
Gray
Gray

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suggest you avoid the frozen softies imported from China, these are frozen intact , lungs and all, and when defrosted are totally soft, and useless, Ask your dealer for country of origin and if they are honest will tell you. The Chinees imports appear to be soft swimmer crabs, with large webs on the rear legs , the soft skin like shell easily peels off leaving little if any substance for hook hold , you will need to bind them on quite firmly with elastic to get a secure fixing on the hook
Gray
Gray
I've seen those crabs in my local tackle shop and after hearing about them on here I gave them a wide berth, the guy in the shop said they are Vietnamese mud crabs. The ammo peelers were great bait, stayed on with minimal bait elastic...... not that I caught anything that night...lol.....:giveup:

John

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
everyone goes on about delunging before freezing, but personally, i've never found it a problem, i freeze my chosen crabs whole, with the lungs being soft tissue, i'd imagine these are among the first bits to freeze, so little time to 'taint' the flesh, i then chop the defrosted crab in half (defrost in about 30 mins on a summers eve) de-shell and whip on, the lungs usually come of at this point, but i dont beleive the meat is tainted as i often catch with them.

does a fish remove the lungs before eating it's prey ? especially if it's scavenging a dead crab? i'm sure it doesn't !! they certainly didnt check mine before eating them !

·
Registered
409 Posts
everyone goes on about delunging before freezing, but personally, i've never found it a problem, i freeze my chosen crabs whole, with the lungs being soft tissue, i'd imagine these are among the first bits to freeze, so little time to 'taint' the flesh, i then chop the defrosted crab in half (defrost in about 30 mins on a summers eve) de-shell and whip on, the lungs usually come of at this point, but i dont beleive the meat is tainted as i often catch with them.

does a fish remove the lungs before eating it's prey ? especially if it's scavenging a dead crab? i'm sure it doesn't !! they certainly didnt check mine before eating them !
lol Crazy I'm sure your right lad :clap3:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

Hugh, ever noticed in the cast off crab shells, what hasnt been eaten by any fish or other creatures, even when it is big chunky lumps of gill such as in cast off spider shells? if these were in anyway tasty to other creatures they wouldnt last five minutes.I'm a massive fan of gills out before freezing AND when using live, for this reason alone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only reason people go on about this is what has been written about in the mags.
The only reason you need to remove the lungs when freezing is if you need to keep them a long while like say over winter.
The reason is that this is the first part to decompose in the freezer.
When a fish is hungry he does not ask are you a soft crab or peeler does he.
If the scent is there its down in one no questions asked.
However it is personal choice, when using peeled crab we take out the lungs when fishing whole jelly crab I never touch the crab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts