World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· The people's moral compass
12,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have come to the conclusion, that without a doubt, Ammo sandeels are the best available, certainly in the south / south east, in the past two weeks i've had about 10 packs of them, 5 ammo, 4-6 others, the ammo ones were fine, even after a few days of being defrosted, they still stayed on a hook, whipped up without turning to mush, etc,

All of the others i've tried have been absolutely cack, either splitting as you try and get em on a hook, turning to mush as you whip them on, etc,

not to mention the fact that certain shopekeeprs think we're total idiots, i went to my local today for some sandeel, they'd just run out, so i had to go elsewhere, no problem i thinks, i'll go to ####'s ###### as the pier is a long walk to find they might not have any.

so... in i go,
"do you have any sandeel please, 3 packs ?" i ask.
"let's have alook" says mr shopkeeper, "here we go",
"have you got ammo?" asks I,
"this is ammo" says he,
"but it doesn't say so on the pack" says me,
"well it's exactly the same and just as good, if not better" says he.
"oh really" :blink: "i'll just take one thanks".

now do i really look like a female genitalia ? i aint pretty, but please, don't treat me like a nonce, i won't mention the shop's name (tony's tackle eastbourne) as they're well liked by most,

it made me recall the '200 fresh wrapped lug' i bought for everyone and took to a team extreme meet at shoreham when all the others shops had got none in (short tides), 1/2 of it was chucked over the wall as it was that bad, the other half caught next to nothing and was full of sand, looked defrosted to me, but hey, they're the experts.

certainly reminded me why i said i'd not use them again, might have cheap abu's etc, but the bait sucks. sooner spend £30 more on the reel up the road and have decent bait service without porky pies.

if the poxy eel had been any good, i'd've let the matter lay, but it was going to mush as soon as look at a hook (and yes, kepy in a tub with ice pack, in a coold bag).

12,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be honest, i've only ever been in on a small number of occasions, 3 or 4 maybe, so i can't comment on their general service, first couple of times i went in for a couple of leads or something on the way to the pier, and they seemed helpful enough, but the last two occasions (about a year apart) have been for bait. they will be the last two occasions full stop now. i won't be told porkies !

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I've had the same sort of experience with a shop down my way, but its their loss at the end of the day because if it were good i'd have bait and tackle off them every week but i go else where now to a shop where i can trust the bait is fine and he wouldnt sell it to you if it wasn't.

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Im affraid its a case of if you want something doing right then do it yourself. I wont buy 'fresh lug' from my local shops as often it is small and even worse on occasions has started to blow turning the worms to a slimey mess. If i have the time i prefer to pump and gut my own blacks or buy wrapped blacks from a few very good sources i know. As for sandeels your bang on, Ammo are best as they package theres at freezing temerature and deliver them in refrigerated units. I think its the Seabait or something ones which are naff, they sometimes even have freezer burn on them when bought! As for shop owners trating you like an idiot then i would not know about it. I have to say the lads in North East Tackle,The Friaridge and Spotty Dog are good lads, and do there best to help you. I have heard horor stories about other shops that provide very poor customer service though, but am very glad to say i have not experienced it personally.

12,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm sure the shop in question is fine when ot comes to gear, i've just been unlucky on two occasions, i'm normally the very last to complain about service, having to deal with customers myself, on a daily basis, i know some things are out of my control, and appreciate the opportunity to put it right immediately, so i always give others that same courtesy. but in this instance, i feel i have been tucked up with naff bait on two occasions, and lied to !

· Registered
2,522 Posts
ammo are the best eels around, that why they ran out a few weeks ago. you wouldn't have found any ammo in the country til this week when they're sending minimum supplies out. the second to ammo is baits direct, they prob ran out too though.

next year i would stock up after crimbo so you won't have this problem again. we're all in the same boat though mate.

· Registered
696 Posts
i buy my sand eels from the newsagent in the village, and they are £1.25 a pack and these are brilliant, i find personally better than ammo. I bought ten packs from them last week to ship to my mate in norfolk, and they still had loads left!

Ive seen ammo around all the time since the last few weeks, but they are produced locally so i expect the local tackle shops get priority, then the up country ones.

martin

· Registered
10,482 Posts
ammo are the best eels around, that why they ran out a few weeks ago. you wouldn't have found any ammo in the country til this week when they're sending minimum supplies out. the second to ammo is baits direct, they prob ran out too though.

next year i would stock up after crimbo so you won't have this problem again. we're all in the same boat though mate.
Hi big guy it happend two me a few yrs ago so for last two yrs i have been stocking up with blue pkts of sandeel i have 20 pkts left now so i am ok for a few more mths tight lines

· Registered
2,522 Posts
i buy my sand eels from the newsagent in the village, and they are £1.25 a pack and these are brilliant, i find personally better than ammo. I bought ten packs from them last week to ship to my mate in norfolk, and they still had loads left!

Ive seen ammo around all the time since the last few weeks, but they are produced locally so i expect the local tackle shops get priority, then the up country ones.

martin
we could have made a few quid if you had brought them from your area and sent them to me. most of the serios and match anglers would pay up to a fiver for ammo eels. we're screeming for them in my area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.