World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out yesterday with matt and his son daniel for a 5hr afternoon sesh before taking wayne and his sons out for an evening sesh. previous day when i was out with matt and daniel fishing was slow due to wind against tide and no drift but this sesh was perfect with no wind and tide taking us along at 1-1.5knts in a flat sea so hopeful!
my mission was pollack today and some cod.
spent a 1/2hr picking up a few mackies for bait off harbour and then headed down to babbet ness where we were all soon into plenty cod,coalies,mackerel,pollack,wrasse and couple of ling.
i put out a float 50yds behind the boat baited with launce and picked up some pollack and cod on it but nothing bigger than 4lb so for the last drift of the sesh changed to a fresh strip of mackie silver belly and was within a couple minutes rewarded with a pb pollack of 8lb 1oz! matt took home plenty fish to feed his family,we ended up with 40+ mackies most came whilst cod fishing!also some on my float fished launce which was annoying! a really good sesh with non stop action,wish i could get these conditions more often.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
cracking pollack mate ,was looking forward to seeing the pic.bet it went like stink on the light gear ,pity you didnt get one of the ones that smashed you up.im pretty sure you will get a double before the end of the summer.
big thanks for all the mackerel,that lot will almost do me the whole winter,and i had no chance of that many off the shore going by how patchy they are now.
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm using the david norwich 1-3oz 8ft rod i picked up at the sharkatag auction with a daiwa baitrunner reel loaded with 23lb braid and i felt then it would suit my float fishing, i've had quite a few pollack and cod on it and feel this rod is well capable of handling fish well into double figures including smoothies etc.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cracking pollock, well done mate... shes got a nice length to her,bet she fought well
did fight very well(i just love pollack fishing on the float ,there's just something magical about a large pollack pulling your float under and stripping line from your reel when you've got your back turned having a **** lol! actually tho the smaller pollack i caught in the evening sesh put up a better fight,thought i was snagged up at first till it took off! such is fishing tho i've had pike less than 10lb put up a better fight than my 20lb+ pike but have to say tho that the bigger fish does make the best photo!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Good report bud, well done on the p.b pollock, what sort of depth were u fishin it at ?.cheers.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
troutman and fife65- re float fishing depth i set depth to around 75% of water depth eg set depth to 30ft in 40ft of water,i had pollack at scrabbie in 80ft+ with depth set at approx 60ft,if this doesn't produce results i may raise depth a few ft.last few trips i've been struggling to get the depth set as i want it as my raymarine DS600X fishfinder went faulty and is away for repair quote,in meantime i've ordered a garmin 300C at only £175 to door which is a real bargain as i think repair quote will be more than this but i like the digital HD raymarine,if i get it repaired i will mount the garmin outside the cabin for when fishing and trolling.
sultzer- my iphone that swam with the fishes is working mostly(i used it to take the pic of my pb pollack)wifi and bluetooth not working yet but all apps are but probably still some dampness inside so will return phone to airing cupboard for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
troutman and fife65- re float fishing depth i set depth to around 75% of water depth eg set depth to 30ft in 40ft of water,i had pollack at scrabbie in 80ft+ with depth set at approx 60ft,if this doesn't produce results i may raise depth a few ft.last few trips i've been struggling to get the depth set as i want it as my raymarine DS600X fishfinder went faulty and is away for repair quote,in meantime i've ordered a garmin 300C at only £175 to door which is a real bargain as i think repair quote will be more than this but i like the digital HD raymarine,if i get it repaired i will mount the garmin outside the cabin for when fishing and trolling.
sultzer- my iphone that swam with the fishes is working mostly(i used it to take the pic of my pb pollack)wifi and bluetooth not working yet but all apps are but probably still some dampness inside so will return phone to airing cupboard for a day or two.
Cheers for the info Bill will try it next time out, I like deep spinning and jigging which are producing good fish but always good to try somthing a bit different. It should allow me to fish with two rods if I set up the float gear on a ratchet.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the info Bill will try it next time out, I like deep spinning and jigging which are producing good fish but always good to try somthing a bit different. It should allow me to fish with two rods if I set up the float gear on a ratchet.
tie your hook trace with a lower breaking strain than your main line but have a short heavier biting length to your hook.i use a 20lb 4ft trace and a 1ft 50lb hook length,if you snag bottom or catch a creel rope you should get your float back,i use the large 8" polystyrene seafloat cocked with 2oz of lead and the slim rubber float stops off ebay i use 2 of these as i found when using only 1 it would move down the mainline when hitting the tip ring on retrieve and i was constantly having to check my depth but 2 stops solves this issue.you will love this style of fishing and it allows you to use a rod as light as you dare no matter the speed of drift,great sport.
cheers,bill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts